Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Quick Disconnect from Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 09:57 AM
TucsonTRD
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Disconnect from Gas Tank

All,

I have a quick question. I disconnected the quick disconnect from the left rear of the gas tank. I disconnected it at the gas tank. When I reconnected it, it sprayed some fuel out but then seemed to seal up. However, as soon as I pressurized the fuel line, fuel started spraying out pretty good. Since I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do that, I disconnected the fuel valve and looked inside. I found the o-ring inside it had been torn when I reconnected the valve. Does Harley sell just the o-ring, or will I have to buy the whole assembly. Also, can I get away with going to a hardware store to find a replacement o-ring? Or would it be inadequate and not tolerate the fuel?

Thanks,
Braden

Old 08-02-2010, 11:32 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Youi can buy the o-ring. If you plan to maintain your bike, get the service and parts manual; they will answer many of your questions.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:52 PM
TucsonTRD
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Not surprisingly, my dealer said I have to buy the whole valve assembly, they don't sell just the o-ring. I tried what I thought was a similarly-sized honda o-ring but it didn't work.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:22 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by TucsonTRD
Thanks for the reply. Not surprisingly, my dealer said I have to buy the whole valve assembly, they don't sell just the o-ring. I tried what I thought was a similarly-sized honda o-ring but it didn't work.
I learned a long time ago that O-rings are strange things! Similar looking ones don't always work, but persistence pays. Try Ronnies to see if it is a separate part. You can then either buy it from Ronnies or print a picture of the Parts List and demand one from your dealer! Unfortunately Ronnies doesn't show Harley part numbers, but their illustrations are stright out of the Harley books.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:23 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by TucsonTRD
What model/year? Get the parts guy to show you the blow up on the computer and I bet that the o-ring will have PN. You can order the o-ring, by PN, from Zanotti's or any other discount H-D dealer; might want to buy a couple for spares. It may be a bit inconvenient but I hate when dealers treat customers that way. The parts guy is either a ******** or just doesn't want to service the customer. I would order the o-ring and wait just on principa; but that's just me. I will check the PN in my 2005 FXSTD parts manual tonight and see.