Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

just bough 76 shovelhead

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:35 PM
76bobber
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bough 76 shovelhead

Bought a rigid 76 shovelhead. It starts and runs strong. I dont have the money to do a complete engine/tranny rebuild now, is there any way to clean up the engine without disassembly? I want to remove it off the frame to check out the tranny because it has the "cant find neutral" problem, but would like to stay away from the actual engine if at all possible. Any suggestions?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:44 AM
50panman54
Stage II

lots of things to do on that shovel to inprove finding neutral before pulling an engine, check the position of the clutch arm tha can be adjusted fore and aft by the adjustmment screw in the center of the clutch basket. Break loose the 9/16 nut and using a straight slot screw driver, adjust 1/2 turn either way and see if it improves. While you are at it, check the pressure plate distance all around to make sure one of the three nuts are not tighter than the other. The nuts have an indent so each half turn the "find home". This amy also improve netural, but if you back off too much the clutch will slip. If you do a little research you can find a neat trick to remove the pressure plate using a big washer and the 9/16 nut mentioned earlier, then you can pull the clutch discs and plates. Clean the friction discs with solvent and then scuff up before reinsertion.......check out shovelhead.us for the best tech answers you can find anywhere on shovels

Old 08-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by 76bobber
Bought a rigid 76 shovelhead. It starts and runs strong. I dont have the money to do a complete engine/tranny rebuild now, is there any way to clean up the engine without disassembly? I want to remove it off the frame to check out the tranny because it has the "cant find neutral" problem, but would like to stay away from the actual engine if at all possible. Any suggestions?
I will add tha Gunk Foamy Engine Brite/high pressure water will "clean up the engine", then you can mask/paint cylinders/lifter blocks, polish the aluminum with Simichrome, or NeverDull.
One thing that really cures the clutch system on those, (that was concieved back in the VL days) is a Rivera Pro-Clutch.
On the clients bikes we have installed those, the reaction is "I should've done this a long time ago".
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:34 PM
76bobber
Intermediate

thank you both for showing me the way on both issues, have something to go on now.

yaoooza, 450 bones! I'll have to put the rivera pro-clutch on the back burner for now.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:53 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

YOU DA MAN ...! No tech tips to offer ... but, congrats on the scoot ...!