Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Uneven Cylinder Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:19 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Uneven Cylinder Pressure

I'll get to the point, 2008 FLHX 103" 251 cams 10.5 se pistons-015 deck .045 hg w/mva heads 2500 mi on pistons and rings at the start of story
Checked cylinder psi 175 front and rear and the bike had never really ran great, ok, a little hot not horrible. Decided to pull .045 hg in favor of .030 and change cams to a set with an earlier close 42 instead of the 251's 46 , then tune using factory pro 4 gas.
When apart the valve guide seals were toast(they were replaced with vitons) and the intake ports were fairly well oiled up and pistons had alot of carbon and the cylinder walls had a little scoring, so we decided to hone and re-ring also. The valve springs were hitting inside the rocker boxes so the boxes were ground for clearance
The calculations for the new parts were 190 psi. Also went with SE tapered adjustable push rods as the SE quick installs were rubbing pretty bad.
The wrench did a ring seat on the dyno and then did a baseline pull and the bike picked up 5 hp with no tuning(he did a before run so he has heard the bike too), but he said the engine wasn't as quiet as he expected after the pr change and the valve springs not hitting anymore.
As he was tuning it was pinging on the front cylinder and he could not seem to tune it out. At one point he added a bunch of fuel everywhere and it got better but it still pinged. So he checked the cylinder pressure and he got 210 in the front and 190 in the rear.
Same heads, same pistons were used. Cylinders were not decked or changed in any way. Lifters were not changed.
What can cause this increase in cylinder pressure in the front cylinder over what was calculated and hit on the money on the rear cylinder.
The bike does not run bad enough to be the front cam off 1 tooth(I could be wrong though), but that will be checked soon. All this just transpired this morning, he had to get another bike done(trans) so he stopped working on mine, plus the rear exhaust picked up a leak and I use the RB racing gaskets and he had to order them.
Any ideas ? Im thinking loose front intake pushrod or some related item to the front intake valve. Any ideas will be appreciated, Thanks.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:34 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Was the CCR checked hot or cold? How many tests did he make? You said the wrench did the ring seal on the dyno? My first guess would be that the rings on the rear cylinder have not seated yet. 210psi and it pings; not really a surprise is it? Doubt that you can pull enough timing out to eliminate the ping without downgrading the performance and a cam change is in your future. Change cams and get a good tune, roll up some miles and check cranknign compression again before you worry about a problem the might sort itself out.