Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

TC88B performance Q's.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 04:56 AM
Bomber Watson
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC88B performance Q's.

Gday guys.

Long time no post, havnt done anything very interesting to the Harley, but have built two cars and a speed boat since i was last on here.

Anyway, im ready and rearing to go to get a bit more HP out of my 05 Softail standard.

The engine is currently ala factory bar a set of screaming eagle slip ons.

What i want to be able to keep, Standard gearbox, dont want to split the cases so standard crank/rods, and the standard jugs.

What i am looking to replace, heads, cams, intake manifold, carb, exhaust, clutch, ignition whatever else i decide isnt up to scratch.

So basically one limiting factor is the gearbox, i dont particularly want to blow this up so i dont want 150HP or anything stupid like that. I will happily upgrade the clutch though, recommendations?

I was looking at the Edelbrock Performer RPM series kit, with heads cams pistons rings etc etc, is this a good way to go?

Was thinking about using that setup with a Mikuni flat slide (size?) and a set of 2-1's that i'll make myself, and some kind of an igniton system.

Apart from that, what are your recommendations on

Heads

Cams, keep in mind that i will be going gear drive

Intake manifold, if needed

Carburettor, Thinking either Mikuni or standard

Pistons, as i think i'll take it to 95"

Ignition, adjustable advance curve and rev limiter essential, will buy a better coil if necessary.

Clutch.

I am a "spirited" rider, and dont mind revving it. I would like very strong mid range power, and being a 88B from what i gather i cant take it past 6200ish, so will probably set the limiter at 6000rpm. For that reason this combination should be just starting to loose power around 6000rpm, i dont want to be able to rev it that high if it doenst do anything after 5000rpm.

What kind of compression ratio should i be looking at? The best fuel i can get locally is 98 octane, and thats all i put in the bike. Now i have successfully ran a few of the cars at 11:1 on 98 with no dramas, but have never worked with an air cooled engine before. How does this effect matters?

Im a bit fussy for the details when building my engines, i will be machining the base of the juggs to give atleast 0 deck height, although with my car engines i usually prefer to hang the pistons about .010" out of the bore, now depending on head gasket thickness i'll probably look at doing this with the HD as well. The devil is in the detail and from my experience getting the top of the slug closer to the quench area of the combustion chamber does wonders for everything. Is this the norm with Harley engines?

So, what am i looking at, for lots of engines there seems to be a good fool proof combo that just works so dang well, is there such a thing for Harleys? Please give your reccomendations on the above items, and anything else i may want to look at.

And just for **** factor, how much HP/TQ could i expect from recommended combinations?

Also, where is the best place to buy all this stuff?? Im in Australia but will be looking to buy as much as possible strait from the USA, as its substantially cheaper than buying it off a local outlet with there 400,000% markup (slight exaggeration). For that reason wherever i buy things from must offer international shipping, a few places i have emailed do not.

For my cars and boat i frequently order from Summit or Jegs, is there a shop in the USA somewhere like either of them but for Harleys? I've tried looking but cant find one at this point....Postage is usually pretty expensive but still works out way cheaper than buying locally.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited by Bomber Watson; 10-12-2010 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:41 AM
Bomber Watson
Novice

Bump, does anyone know how to mod a TC88B???

Cheers.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:50 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Here is a rock-solid combo, for your spirited riding;
Our Stage III Heads(1.940" intakes) w/releases
Bore to 98"
Cometic gaskets
Bob Wood TW-8G cams
S&S Roller Rocker arms
Mikuni 42, or 45.
Daytona Twin Tech Ignition
Barnett clutch spring
D&D Fatcat, or Supertrapp 2/1 exhaust. 110hp, 110 ft/lbs., to be expected.
Other that the 98", if wanting to spilt/bore the cases, a 117"(125 hp/135 ft/lbs) with S&S flywheels/Axtell cylinders, and our Stage IV heads would have your full attention.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:35 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

we just did a build(our stage II heads,cylinder & cams) for a rider in queensland,can get you contact info if you want to check out the bike

Old 10-14-2010, 07:32 AM
Bomber Watson
Novice

Thanks guys, i'll be in contact soon.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Feel free to call us, or e-mail.
BTW, in the carbed applications, we pre-set the ignition, and base-line jet the carb to help establish a very good running powerplant out of the gate.
Dyno tuning at a later date, will bring the icing to the cake.
Scott