Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Rush slip ons, BAffle size?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 12:50 AM
harleyfire18
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rush slip ons, BAffle size?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but can anyone explain the difference between the different baffle sizes? Does bigger mean louder or what? I have a set of Rushes 15301 slip ons with a 2.5" baffle on my 06 FLHTCI. The dealer had put them on for me before I picked up the bike. Just trying to figure out exactly what they are doing for me besides being loud. Dont get me wrong they sound great and torque seems to be really good but they are very loud - I've actually been thinking too loud.

I know if its too loud your too old. But I feel bad when I cruise through the neighborhood at 5:40 am.

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:30 AM
lschultz
Road Master
Default RE: Rush slip ons, BAffle size?

If you got the 2.5 baffle they are loud. I had a set with the 1.75 baffle and they were loud enough for me but when you get a little older your priorties change. If your engine is stock I would go with a 2" you need a little more backpressure. They have a good sound don't they? I got a wild hair up my **** and bought me a pair of D&D Police Interceptor mufflers they look just like the Rush but have a longer baffle in them. These are a little quieter than the Rush but not by much.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:08 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior

Too loud??? You wimpy a$$es Just kidding. I find going light at night on the throttle works in keeping the neighbors friendly.

Gotta admit 2.5" 15301's really make your bagger sound like a street rod - I luv 'em - and I'm 51 years old.

OL won't ride unless I go back to 2" - ain't gonna happen - looks like solo from here on out.

Why don't you guys just put those stock pipe back on [:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]

Old 09-17-2006, 01:05 PM
lschultz
Road Master

Yea yea yea I here- I think. My son has order him a 07 Roadglide and he already told me he is going to put Rinehart or something on that is loud cause he wants to here em. I guess I will just have to follow further behind him. [sm=coolness.gif]

Old 09-17-2006, 07:36 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 23,571 Likes on 5,222 Posts

Rush now has 5 baffle sizes. From loudest to least loud, they are 2.5", 2.25", 2", 1.75" and 1.5". Most dealers don't know about the 1.5" yet; I heard about them from the manufacturer. You'd have to get your dealer to call Rush and get a part number.

I just put Rush slipons on my '06 FLSTCI a few days ago. They came with the 2" baffles. Great rumble at idle, but simply too loud for these old ears when rolling along at 65 mph. I'm in L.A., and am riding to Reno next week for the festivities, so I called Reno HD and had them order the 1.5" baffles for me for installation next week ($59 for the baffle set). I'll post the results as soon as I hear them.

BTW, don't get me wrong about the 2" baffles. They're by no means obnoxiously loud and have a great tone, just a little loud for me on a long cruise even with ear plugs and a full face helmet. I simply can't imagine how loud the 2.5" baffles you have must be.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:42 PM
harleyfire18
6th Gear

Hey guys thanks for the helpful info. Yeah I got back from a ride the other day and my ears were ringing. I am starting to get used to them though and they definately turn heads. The other day I was riding up on a guy who was cutting some grass on the side of a road and he turned around to look and see what was coming as I came up on him. They definately get attention. I'll really have to think some more if I'm going to change them or not. Now my dealer did the 1450 stage 1 upgrade also. They called it a download. This is for the fuel injection right (match it to the pipes). So if I change the pipes will I have to get this done again?

Old 09-17-2006, 10:48 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 23,571 Likes on 5,222 Posts

No, that download is good enough. Of course, you can always go with a HD race tuner (SERT) or Power Commander, which allow a good tuner to refine the parameters for fuel, ignition, etc. But the truth is that unless you are planning to further modify your engine beyond pipes and a free-flow air cleaner, SERTs or PCs are overkill.

Funny how quickly you get used to what sounds LOUD at first. After today's ride, I'm seriously considering holding off on the smaller-diameter baffle. We'll see how I feel after the 500-mile run to Reno.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:46 AM
harley albert
Advanced

I am confused. I thought the shorter the baffle size size the louder the exhaust. ie. a 1.75" is louder than the 2.00". Is this correct? Your feeback is appreciated.

FATBOY AL
FT. LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA

ORIGINAL: Philip

Rush now has 5 baffle sizes. From loudest to least loud, they are 2.5", 2.25", 2", 1.75" and 1.5". Most dealers don't know about the 1.5" yet; I heard about them from the manufacturer. You'd have to get your dealer to call Rush and get a part number.

I just put Rush slipons on my '06 FLSTCI a few days ago. They came with the 2" baffles. Great rumble at idle, but simply too loud for these old ears when rolling along at 65 mph. I'm in L.A., and am riding to Reno next week for the festivities, so I called Reno HD and had them order the 1.5" baffles for me for installation next week ($59 for the baffle set). I'll post the results as soon as I hear them.

BTW, don't get me wrong about the 2" baffles. They're by no means obnoxiously loud and have a great tone, just a little loud for me on a long cruise even with ear plugs and a full face helmet. I simply can't imagine how loud the 2.5" baffles you have must be.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:47 AM
harley albert
Advanced

I am confused. I thought the shorter the baffle size the louder the exhaust. ie. a 1.75" is louder than the 2.00". Is this correct? Your feeback is appreciated.

FATBOY AL
FT. LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA

ORIGINAL: Philip

Old 11-07-2006, 09:19 AM
dchoran
Road Warrior

Simple physics - the sizes given (2.5", 2.25", 2", 1.75" and 1.5") are the DIAMETERS of the baffles. Bigger diameter = bigger sound.

If you ran a straight pipe it would be ~ 3" diameter.

I run the 2.5" and luv 'em.

Name:  sliponcover.jpg
Views: 2981
Size:  124.0 KB

Quick Reply: Rush slip ons, BAffle size?