Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

CV Carb not gettin fuel into float bowl

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:55 PM
LawDawg79
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Carb not gettin fuel into float bowl

Hey guys, I just got done painting my bike and putting it back together, I did my best to insure nothing got into the tank during the process, and once back together I shopvac'd the inside of the tanks out and then blew them out with compressed air just to make sure there was nothing in them. Added my fuel, fired the bike up and it ran for about 1-2 mins and died and would not restart. Thinking I fouled plugs I replaced the plugs and went ahead and did a full fluid change, Amsoil in all 3 holes. Once I was done, Hit start and she fired right up, ran for about 1-2 mins again then died and would not restart. Checked for spark and all is good, Plugs still look clean and not fouled out. Sprayed a little gas into the carb and it fired for a second, so Im thinking its a fuel issue. Checked the petcock with line off, fuel comes out, checked the line from petcock to carb, fuel flows out.

I now have the bowl off the bottom of the carb, still attached to bike, there was some fuel in it but not much, probably enough to run it for a minute. So I am thinking fuel is for some reason just trickling into the carb.

Shouldnt fuel go into the carb with the petcock open and the float down?? obviously I have the float bowl off but no fuel is coming into carb with the float down, I can push up on it and let it drop back down and still no fuel.

The carb was just rebuilt by HD dealer before I ripped it apart for paint so I dont know what is going on. It was running fine before I took it apart.

Should I be able to blow air through the line from the petcock end when the line is hooked to the carb? because I can not. Everything looks clean so I am stumped.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:09 AM
studad52
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get the Fuel Flowing

Sounds like the small valve in the fuel inlet has become stuck on its seat or the fuel passage is blocked. You will need to pull the carb, turn it upside down with float bowl off and tap out the pin that holds the float in place. There is an arrow cast into the body to show the direction to hit it. The float and shutoff will now be in your hand and you can check for blockage etc.

Be cautious about blowing compressed air into the carb, there are two diaphrams that can't stand but so much pressure.