Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Woods 555..looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:16 PM
billybobber
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woods 555..looking for opinions

Hi guys,
Ordered but not installed. Having second thoughts some what.

Set up plan:
2010 fatboy, SE air cleamer with big sucker filter, fatcat and TTS.
Both 1 up and 2 up riding. rarely WOT but do enjoy "spirited" riding from time to time.

Looking for opinions on these. I already have a few and would like to hear from more ppl. both pros and cons welcome

I'm not one who likes to tear into the motor often so reliability is important. I am also particular with my bike and like things done right the first time (that's why I do almost all my own maintenance VS Dealer)

- Are these typically noisy in the valve train?
- Will these cams be happy and perform OK with my set up w/ a proper tune?
- Will stock pushrods work or go SE adjustable? (I have no problem spending extra time lifting tank and pulling rocker boxes)
- How bad is wear and tear rates compared to stock?

I don't know if this is typical with these cams but Mr. Wood stressed the importance of changing the inner cam bearings and cam chains during the install as well. odd or smart? I trust his call but didnt bother to ask him why.

1 way or the other cams are going in but picking correctly is a chore- want to avoid trial and error if possible. I'll try to return these if I decide a mistake was made.

When it's all said and done, I will put the finishing touch on by using EXILE push rod covers- love the fatty look

Thanks in advance; didnt mean to ramble on....

P.S. Have the cash for more mods but hate to cut into the tattoo savings...LOL

Last edited by billybobber; 03-10-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:53 AM
evostroker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put these cams in my bike. No more noise than stock..Same lift as SE255's so reliability should be the same as stock...I am not sure if the base circle is the same as the SE cam's so cant answer if the pushrods can be reused. They do like a little more compression so you might want to change head gaskets wile you have it apart...you will be happy with your choice

Old 03-10-2011, 04:56 AM
GAZRNR
Advanced

I put the TW6-6, SE pushrods in my 09. This was before fuelmoto had the 555's. If I were doing it again I would get the full installation kit from FM and the new woods lifters. With the stock lifters, now with 11K. I am hearing more noise. The 6's pull really strong in my bike and I tuned back in some fuel mileage with the PCV & autotune. You will be amazed how much more fun it is to ride your bike once your get your cams in...go for it!

Old 03-10-2011, 05:25 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

We are Bob Wood's largest dealer, and have worked with his cams since the mid-90's. Had a couple of the first sets when they hit the market last August.
Those are VERY quiet.
The inner cam bearings are replaced because H-D has opted to use a bearing with only 1/2 the rollers as that of a Torrington, or Sonnax full needle bearing, and many reported inner bearing failures have been a result.
That said, that 555, WANTS, to be at 10.5 cr to be fully effective.
You'll never be able to surface the head to establish that, and IF you got close, you'd end up with manifold fitment issues as well as a rocker arm geometry that is buggered.
Best way to do this is a piston, whether 103", or 107".
Our propietary 107" Wiseco piston/complete Cometic gasket kit easily establish the compression needs under an OE 85cc chamber.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:52 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts

I have been more that pleased with my set-up, and to your origninal question, I would get adjustable PR, my choice is Smith Bros., considered the best on the market. Hillside is right, 555 likes more comp, but you will be smiling regardless.

TedMan

Old 03-10-2011, 08:08 PM
billybobber
Cruiser

Thanks for the feedback everybody!! Keep em comin'. Changing the inner cam bearings presents a problem based on the special tooling needed. I ordered the bearings as well so now I need to talk an indie into borrowing me the tools for a day unless some one else has a better idea.
I'm an aircraft engine technician and my buddy is a machinist who does this stuff all the time so it should be a breeze but he never changes those bearings so finding a tool is my next task next to getting a hold of doc for a canned TTS map recommendation that will get me by til dyno time

Last edited by billybobber; 03-10-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:18 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

You can borrow the tool from auto zone. Scotty is it worth it to install the cometic gasket to get a little more compression with the 555. And I believe the base circle is like 20 thou less than stock so stock push tubes might make some noise. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm planning to do the woods kit soon including lifters.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:27 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default saw a tool in the FS section

Hey I saw a bearing tool in the FS section about 2 weeks ago.

I dont have the 555 but have the tw6s and have been really happy!

Old 03-10-2011, 08:49 PM
billybobber
Cruiser

Originally Posted by soft 02
You can borrow the tool from auto zone. Scotty is it worth it to install the cometic gasket to get a little more compression with the 555. And I believe the base circle is like 20 thou less than stock so stock push tubes might make some noise. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm planning to do the woods kit soon including lifters.
Thanks for the tip but I'll pass on using an autozone tool on the bike. Ive used them before on the car and they are always in terrible condition and fit

Old 03-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Delmar
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finished up the install of the TW-555 cams today on my 07 Ultra along with Powervision tuner supplied by Fuelmoto with map for these cams. I already installed the Torrington inner bearings during the last cam (Andrews 26h) I installed. I bought and used the Beaty install tool which is well worth the money spent on it. Im also using the SE adjustable pushrods with no problems. So far the cams are very quiet but have only got about 50 miles on them so far. As far as performance, i cant quite say right now as i want to get a few more miles on them before i begin twisting the throttle a bit.

Last edited by Delmar; 03-11-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Woods 555..looking for opinions