Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

'03 Road King, Andrews Roller Chains

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:18 PM
flyingdutchman
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '03 Road King, Andrews Roller Chains

I decided to switch my cam drive again, this is the third time. From birth to 20,000 miles, I had the stock “silent chain” drive, with my Stage II big-bore kit. Then from 20,000 to the present 65,000 miles, I had an S&S gear drive with Andrews gear drive cams. I was happy enough with it, but the crank had too much runout to ever get the clearances right on the drive gears, and I eventually got tired of the whiny, clattering mess. So, Saturday I installed a “one-of-a-kind” setup. One of a kind because there aren't many people who understand what's involved. I had no less than three dealers tell me "you can do the Screamin' Eagle conversion for less". Not with a roller chain for the secondary, you can't. I don't think any of them believed me.
I ordered up a set of "N" conversion cams, same grind as my gear drive (TW37), from Andrews. They have the “new style” (’07 and newer) roller chain sprockets, with the “old style” (’99-’06) inner bearing journal (.875 instead of 1.000), and use the ’07 and newer support plate, hydraulic tensioners, upgraded oil pump, and so on. Ordered all of the Harley parts from Zanotti's, good experience.
Fired her up last night, ah, silence. As soon as winter ends again, can't wait to take her for a spin! Pic attached taken while I was setting up the right rear cam shim washer.

Attached Thumbnails '03 Road King, Andrews Roller Chains-new-parts.jpg  
Old 04-19-2011, 03:50 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Sounds good (sorry, but pun intended!). Well done for pushing forward the boundaries of customising.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:43 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just completed the exact same upgrade on my ’06 FXST as you stated along with a 95 BB and Baisley Super Stock heads. I have about 200 miles on it now and all is good and quiet. I initially used Andrew’s ’07 cam conversion list of parts from their website, but eventually bought a used 2007 parts book off of eBay to make sure Andrew’s list was complete. I ordered the parts from M&M along with an Andrews 26N at a 20% discount. The way I calculated it was that excluding the cost of the cams, the Harley Hybrid cam kit and the needed spacer kit and the cam service kit and the drive gear retention kit at 20% discount added up to $441, where as the ’07 “build your own” conversion kit cost me $401. Although my piece-meal kit doesn’t include the SE billet cam plate. But this way, I didn’t have to press no stink’n bearings. The one thing that threw me for a loop was that the ’07 and newer cam plate Harley sent did not have a bushing in the cam pinion shaft bore, but I quickly found on the net that as of 2011 all cam plates shipped by Harley will not have bushings. Still, I think I would have preferred to have a bushing in this location. I’ve come to realize over the years that you might order a specific part number and that part number may even reside on the invoice and even on the Harley box label, but the number stamped on the part may be whatever Harley feels like shipping you.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:54 PM
flyingdutchman
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'm with you on the pinion shaft bushing. I was getting used to the cams riding in aluminum, but then the pinion shaft too? And I know that I've got about .004" TIR on my crank. I guess we'll see. I saw a lot of comments about the SE billet support plate, and that people weren't happy. That and the price convinced me to just use the cast "original equipment" plate. Not sure what's going on there. Anyway, as soon as winter quits again, I can't wait to get out there and put some miles on her.