Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Are andrews 26 noisey?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:36 AM
2005 Roadking
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are andrews 26 noisey?

I installed the s.e. Cam tensioner/camplate, andrews 26 cams, new h.d. Lifters & 95 big bore kit. Rebuilt stock heads & push rods. Engine now has a whirring sound (sewing machine) about 1200 miles since installs. I have remove the cam case cover & checked, everthing appears ok. Oil pressure is good warm & cold.
I change oil (mobil v-twin 20/50) & cut the filter open, no debris of any kind.
I have heard that 26's are abit noisey, any one else with this issue?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the 26g, yeah, it makes some noise.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by 2005 Roadking
I installed the s.e. Cam tensioner/camplate, andrews 26 cams, new h.d. Lifters & 95 big bore kit. Rebuilt stock heads & push rods. Engine now has a whirring sound (sewing machine) about 1200 miles since installs. I have remove the cam case cover & checked, everthing appears ok. Oil pressure is good warm & cold.
I change oil (mobil v-twin 20/50) & cut the filter open, no debris of any kind.
I have heard that 26's are abit noisey, any one else with this issue?
Pretty darn quiet from what we've seen.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:44 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Most all of Andrews cams are quiet; I doubt that the cams are not the source of the noise. "Sewing machine" sounds like valve train. Are the pushrods adjustable? May need more preload? "Whirring" sounds like bearings. Did you change inner cam bearing?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:56 AM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

My 26A 's are quiet. Nothing outta the valve train at all. I have the 95's and head work by Hillside.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:01 AM
2005 Roadking
Advanced

I reused stock push rods. Install S.E. inner cam bearings, used outer bearings that cam with cams. I have no clicking or clacking noise. lifters are quiet. Inner cam bearing were removed & installed with correct tooling. I turned the engine over many times when I was assembling, & am confident that the push rods are not rubbing. I did not have any noise with the stock cam plate & oil pump. I removed the cam chest cover last week to inspect the outer chain because I thought the clearance may have been wrong & the chain was rubbing. The outer tensioner showed no sign of wear, but there is only 1200 mile since the install.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:19 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Just throwing stuff at the wall here but are the cylinders new or did you have your cylinders bored? This is a stretch but if the cylinders are new and are a few thousandths off dimensionally in height and the valve train stack up height is off enough to introduce some lash. It's impossible to diagnose a noise problem without hearing it. If it is valve lash, adjustable pushrods may be the answer. Also, the H-D "B" lifter is now made in Mexico and is of a lesser quality than the Delphi lifters they replaced; maybe they are bleeding down?

Sounds like you have been thorough and have checked everything so I am trying to think out of the box. Andrews grinds cams for TMan (many others also) and I had a set of TMan's 590 cams that were ground out of spec; ramps were .004" off. Anyway, I chased the noise and elminated every possible source but could not lose the noise. I was talking to TMan and he had heard from several of his 590 customers with similar questions/complaints so, being the kind of guy TMan his, he pulled a set of his 590s off the shelf and installed them in one of the shop bikes. Guess what, they made noise. Not saying your cams were ground out of spec, just an illustration of how frustrating it can be to run down those noises. You could have gotten a bad outer bearing with the kit. Unfortunately, once you have elminated the obvious sources of the noise, you will have to replace any component that could generate the noise until you get the right one.

Or not; learn to live with the noise.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:22 PM
2005 Roadking
Advanced

The cylinders are new, I bolted the liners down & measured, both pistons are .002 below the the liner @ tdc. If the lifters were bleeding down I would expect to have a clicking type noise, I may be wrong. I had the valves & seats ground & installed new valve stem seals. If too much was taken off the valves or seats that would make the valve train longer, should not be noisey then? Also the engine runs very well. Power is better than I expected. I have not had it dynoed, but am very happy with the power. Fuel mileage is about the same as before the install. I am useing a Thunderamx with auto tune. i may go with adjustable push rods & see if they help.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:08 PM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

we`ve found them to be VERY quite any time we`ve used them

Old 06-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Andrews cams are typically very quiet. If it is a "whiriring" noise you are hearing, it almost has to be something that is rotating, not reciprocating. I have heard whirring noise from an overtight primary chain tensioner, worn cam tensioners and a failing roller on a lifter. As others have said, it is pretty darn hard to diagnose over the internet. Have you had an indy or HD mech listen to it? Rather than driving yourself crazy and disassembling again, that would be my next step.

Quick Reply: Are andrews 26 noisey?