Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

SE Pro Heads 17071-03B for 107

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:09 PM
cjlandry
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE Pro Heads 17071-03B for 107

I picked up a pair of these, new in the box, for $400. They have 2.08/1.6 valves and are already set up for compression releases.

Here's the SE ad from an earlier SE Catalog (I think '09):

17071-03
Screamin' Eagle Pro
Twin Cam 103+ Cylinder Heads

This Screamin Eagle cylinder head is designed to increase performance on engines displacing 103 cubic inches or more.
The intake and exhaust ports have been resized and reshaped to handle the additional airflow from a 103 C.I. Engine. When combined with the 103+ stroker piston, the engine produces a compression ratio of 10.5:1. The combustion chamber design provides a clean and conistent burn for a large displacement engines. Valve springs can accommodate cams with 650" lift and 7000 RPMs. Intake valve has benn increased to 2.080"dia. Exhaust valve is 1.623" . 103+ cylinder heads must be used with Big Bore Cylinders(3 7/8" or larger). Heads are machined to accept Compression Release P/N 29298-02. For race applicable only.

Black Highlighted.
Fits '99-later Twin Cam models equipped with Big-Bore Cylinders.EFI require ECM recalibration through
applicable cartridge or through EFI Race Tuner Kit. See EFI Race Tuner Kit for fitment or calibration matrix for possible applications.
They have 98cc (advertised) chambers, so I have to go with domes to get the compression up, which isn't a big deal. I'll probably shave a hair off of 'em to get 'em right where I want 'em.

The only information I've been able to find on them has been in Donny Peterson's book "Volume II: Performancing the Twin Cam". He has the same concern as I, that the chamber isn't the "bathtub" shape, so doesn't provide much of a squish band.

On the other hand, for the price, and knowing that I'm not gonna race, I figure I should be able to get some respectable and streetable torque from them. If not, I already have a couple extra pairs of stock TC96 heads, which I can have worked over by a pro.

The question now is how to go about getting the most from these heads. Should I bump the static compression all the way up to 10.5 or beyond? Will they be able to handle dynamic compression as high as 9.5, or should I keep it in the high 8's to 9? Should I go lower than that, due to such a minimal squish band and a nearly hemi chamber?

Most important for me is streetability. I don't want to worry about pump gas issues. I'm not looking to win any dyno shootouts or drag races. I just want comfortable low-end torque on the street and highway. The price on these heads seemed like a steal, so I jumped on 'em. If I'm a sucker for buying them, well, so be it. It's not like I don't have other options.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. They're not listed in the 2011 SE catalog. It appears they've been superseded by something similar.

Last edited by cjlandry; 06-11-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:46 PM
cjlandry
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a pair of 'em on ebay now, really cheap, but he lists that there are nicks in the chambers, helicoils in the plug holes and others, and a few other issues. Claims to have run them on a 95ci, but I would think the valves would cause problems with those bores. Maybe that's why he broke rings. I don't know.

Claims they were on a 103 before which put out 128 HP. Claims. I don't put much stock in that.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, here's a link to the auction, which ends Monday evening:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SCREA...4#ht_500wt_975