Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Lifters for twin cam

Old 06-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifters for twin cam

Looking into new lifters for a 2000 FLHT. Converted to Woods gear drive cams (.575 lift), compression 10.5:1

Was looking into stock lifters vs SE vs Headquarters vs Feuling vs crane vs AMS. Enough to give a headache that's for sure!

I've seen that some people recommend the LS1 chevy lifter as a direct replacement, but I've also been told that the Chevy lifters would require some internal mods as they wouldn't normally meter enough oil to the HD top end in their stock form, and I just don't want to go the Chevy lifer route and possibly hassle with this.

So I ran into this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AQ:MOTORS:1123

The above seller makes some bold statements about lifters, who knows what to believe lol

Anyone can steer me in the best direction? Thanks for any help!

Old 06-27-2011, 03:57 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Still a fan of Harley B lifters.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:10 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,489 Posts

"B" lifters have been relaced with "C" lifters. Don't know where they are made but suspect Mexico; not made by Delphi like the "B"s were.

Pretty simple solution though; Woods cams and Woods lifters. You didn't mention Mr. Woods new lifters in the usual suspect list of SE, HQ, Cane and AMS. Mr. Woods lifters are superior to any of the aforementioned and no doubt about where they are made or the quality.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:09 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beaureed445
Still a fan of Harley B lifters.
me too

Old 06-27-2011, 05:11 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Mr. Woods lifters ARE high quality and made right here in Ohio!

Old 06-27-2011, 06:02 PM
ardakota
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

what year did the b become c lifters

Old 06-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks guys for the suggestions.

Oh yeah, good point about the woods lifters. They're also on my list but I forgot them in the 1st post. I've read up on the woods directional lifters, they sound very good. Only thing that I saw as a "negative" if it can even be considered one is how long they apparently take to bleed down, some people were saying this took overnight and I'm not very patient with that sort of thing! LMAO

Also I think they were a bit on the expensive side if I remember correctly, but maybe that's my best option...

Old 06-27-2011, 08:01 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Originally Posted by ardakota
what year did the b become c lifters
I am, was a "B" lifter fan myself before the quality fell off. IIRC, the PN changed very recently, like a few weeks back. However, some of the last "B" lifters shipped were showing a drop of in quality from the Delphi supplied "B" lifters. There may be some of the older Bs still in inventory but one would have to hunt them down and open each one before taking them home.

Some are using the "C" lifters without issues but the poorer quality between the Delphi supplied Bs and the new Cs (don't know the country of origin but it's not the US, me thinks south of the Texas border) is obvious if you have them side by side.

Check the attached photos for the differences; old = B and new = B before the PN change to C; haven't got my hands on a C to pull apart but suspect it will be the same as the new B. Also have attached photos showing the difference between the Delphi SBC lifter and the Bs as an FYI; the SBC lifters, if Delphis, will work in the TCs as well.

I have also heard from some that don't believe the C roller is of the same quality as the older Bs.

The Woods lifters are pricey but top notch; that's would I would run in a perfomance TC motor. The don't take overnight to bleed down, maybe 30 minutes. Worth the wait and the extra $$, but that's just me.

Attached Thumbnails Lifters for twin cam-old_new-lifter-body.jpg   Lifters for twin cam-old_new-lifter-cup.jpg   Lifters for twin cam-hd_b_vs_sbc_01.jpg  

Last edited by djl; 07-14-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:40 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I had ONE woods lifter take a couple hours to bleed down. Other three were like 20 minutes. This was long after initial install and had 60wt in the bike.

No biggy to me.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:42 AM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eyespy
Looking into new lifters for a 2000 FLHT. Converted to Woods gear drive cams (.575 lift), compression 10.5:1

Was looking into stock lifters vs SE vs Headquarters vs Feuling vs crane vs AMS. Enough to give a headache that's for sure!

I've seen that some people recommend the LS1 chevy lifter as a direct replacement, but I've also been told that the Chevy lifters would require some internal mods as they wouldn't normally meter enough oil to the HD top end in their stock form, and I just don't want to go the Chevy lifer route and possibly hassle with this.

So I ran into this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AQ:MOTORS:1123

The above seller makes some bold statements about lifters, who knows what to believe lol

Anyone can steer me in the best direction? Thanks for any help!
Why not run Woods Lifters???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lifters for twin cam