Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

TC top end noise after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 02:58 PM
tripacer1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC top end noise after rebuild

i know some of this has been hashed over before but just cant find all the right answers some are close
have a 02 ultra TC88 a couple of year sago i put a Road smith Trike kit on it (hips and Knees bad) up till then it was pretty much stock,
SE ex pipes and Air cleaner after the conversion i noticed that with momma and a full load of luggage it was a little underpowered and needed some help
so after saving my Penny's upgraded the the cam compartment to the Roller chain and hydraulic tensionors and new oil pump (Also put in the oil pump kit and run about 50 lb oil presser when warmed up) and new lifters and SE adj push rods i put in Andrews 26N cams to go with this and then at the last second decided why not pull the cyl and make a 95" out of it so sent the Cyl out and had board to 95" with KB pistons and 9.6 to 1 on the compression did a little head work open up the ports and just some clean up stuff almost forgot i put in a Fuel Moto and that thing just works period
did the usually Break in with 40W mineral oil (Had it left over from when i had my aircraft) after 750 miles went to 20W50 regular oil
as far as performance goes made a good Trike for me and the wife to go touring on (we are NOT hot rodders )
now the reason for this whole speal

#1 I have a noise in the top end (used a stethoscope) and it is coming from the rockers
i have readjusted the push rods and still no fix i did not get a Mic out when i had it apart but they did not seem to have any wear on the shafts or bushings
some people say the ramps could be the issue but these are more for low end Torque than hi speed so i don't see how that could be the issue
#2 In 1300 mile trip that we just took we used a qt of Oil and that just don't sound right it never seemed to use any during break in or before we left on this trip but two days of 65 mph going and coming plus a couple of side trips it sure did

can anyone give me any ideas as to what to look for
someplace's i read say to use these woods directional Lifters and that will fix the noise part
other places said to use the stock SE 95 cyl and pistons are more reliable and don't use oil

Looking for ideas or suggestions

Old 08-21-2011, 03:46 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't help you with your problem as I have the same issue...

95ci with andrews 26G gear drive cames.... top end sound like it is coming apart... but it has sounded like that for three years and close to 25k miles... I used to worry about it... but then I decided to ride it until it breaks...

mine does not use oil though