Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum > Exhaust System Topics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by: Samson Exhaust

Reply
 
 
 
P
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-06-2011, 02:35 PM
ilikesta ilikesta is offline
Hang Around
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7
Default 2001 Fatboy FLSTFI Crank Position Sensor

My Fatboy started running like crap (sputtering, cutting out etc) sporadically under a load about 2 months after installing a power commander 3. I had it tuned at an authorized Dynojet dealer, and gained 20 horsepower. It seemed to only occur when it was real hot outside. I took it back to the tuner, and they couldn't make the problem happen while riding or on the dyno,

I got it home, and it started up again doing the same thing. I have changed plugs, air cleaner, and just recently the engine temperature sensor, all to no avail. Now it is really cool outside and it started doing the same thing after riding about 10 minutes. I am getting really frustrated.

I am thinking about the crank position sensor but hate to just keep throwing parts at it! Any suggestions? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-06-2011, 03:39 PM
djl's Avatar
djl djl is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: san antonio
Posts: 5,436
Default

Won't hurt to pull it out, post a pic and let's take a look at it. They are magnetic and can collect stuff; enough stuff and the don't read well. If they get bad enough, you will lose all spark. Worst thing that can happen is that you eliminate it as the source of the problem.

Last edited by djl; 09-29-2011 at 09:54 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-07-2011, 01:51 PM
ilikesta ilikesta is offline
Hang Around
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7
Default

I went to pull it off and noticed the wire going to it was somewhat jicky....frayed and possibly shorting out. I taped it up with electrical tape and so far no problem...going to give it a bit and see if it stays running good. If so I will probably go ahead and replace the unit. Haven't read the manual yet (i know) but how does the crankshaft sensor come out?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-07-2011, 03:37 PM
djl's Avatar
djl djl is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: san antonio
Posts: 5,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikesta View Post
I went to pull it off and noticed the wire going to it was somewhat jicky....frayed and possibly shorting out. I taped it up with electrical tape and so far no problem...going to give it a bit and see if it stays running good. If so I will probably go ahead and replace the unit. Haven't read the manual yet (i know) but how does the crankshaft sensor come out?
Best if you get the service manual. The sensor is held in with a single bolt and in it's own harness. You cannot just buy the sensor; it comes connected to wires that run through the same harness as the oil pressure switch and oil pressure sender. You can cut the wires on the sender end of the old harness, remove the sender from the new harness and splice in on to the old wires, or try to pull the CPS wires out of the harness and pull the new one through (PITA), or you can run the new CPS wires outside the harness.

If you have temporarily solved the problem and it is the CPS, better fix it permanently or you could find yourself stranded. A lot of guys carry a new one in their tool kit, just in case.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-07-2011, 03:42 PM
JayStronghawk's Avatar
JayStronghawk JayStronghawk is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lake City, Florida (Native)
Posts: 8,171
Jay McElroy
Send a message via Yahoo to JayStronghawk
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl View Post
Best if you get the service manual. The sensor is held in with a single bolt and in it's own harness. You cannot just buy the sensor; it comes connected to wires that run through the same harness as the oil pressure switch and oil pressure sender. You can cut the wires on the sender end of the old harness, remove the sender from the new harness and splice in on to the old wires, or try to pull the CPS wires out of the harness and pull the new one through (PITA), or you can run the new CPS wires outside the harness.

If you have temporarily solved the problem and it is the CPS, better fix it permanently or you could find yourself stranded. A lot of guys carry a new one in their tool kit, just in case.

Good Advice ..
__________________
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...psf9f2e1ec.jpg Victory Cross Country Stage 2
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-07-2011, 04:05 PM
djl's Avatar
djl djl is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: san antonio
Posts: 5,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayStronghawk View Post
Good Advice ..
Hey Jay,
I am looking for a '99 or '00 FXR4 for a project bike. Don't care about the condition of the motor as I plan to yank it and replace it with an S&S 106 or 111; forget which one. If you run across another one, let me know.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-07-2011, 07:28 PM
JayStronghawk's Avatar
JayStronghawk JayStronghawk is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lake City, Florida (Native)
Posts: 8,171
Jay McElroy
Send a message via Yahoo to JayStronghawk
Default

Will do djl ...
__________________
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...psf9f2e1ec.jpg Victory Cross Country Stage 2
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-08-2011, 10:20 AM
ilikesta ilikesta is offline
Hang Around
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7
Default

Well I am an idiot.....I have pulled the CPS before and again it had no shavings on it. The frayed wires I saw were from the other side of the oil filter...but it is still running crappy and it is cool out now. Again, it seems to be real sporadic, but the one consistent is it doesn't happen until I have been riding for a while, and it gets to operating temperature. I am going to replace the CPS and see if that helps...will keep posting
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-08-2011, 10:31 AM
ilikesta ilikesta is offline
Hang Around
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7
Default

OK I am going to buy a new CPS part #32707-01C ($54.70) and swap it out....more research shows this thing gets jicky with heat and that fits the bill
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-08-2011, 11:15 AM
djl's Avatar
djl djl is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: san antonio
Posts: 5,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikesta View Post
OK I am going to buy a new CPS part #32707-01C ($54.70) and swap it out....more research shows this thing gets jicky with heat and that fits the bill
Let us know how that works out.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:15 AM
 
 
 
P
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrical Gremlins. NitroBerserker Electrical/Lighting/Alarm 2 08-21-2014 11:09 PM
Member with '13 Road King w/mods Nutritiondr New Members Area 13 03-08-2014 10:26 AM
PCV - AutoTune problems bobernet Touring Models 8 08-03-2011 06:08 PM
Power Commander Problems mtaylor1111 Touring Models 50 04-29-2011 08:39 PM
2000 Dyna FXDX Cam Sensor and Cam Install mehurr Dyna Glide Models 0 01-07-2011 07:21 AM


Tags
01, 2000, 2001, coil, cost, crank, fatboy, flstfi, forum, fuel, harley, ilikesta, position, pump, sensor, softail, touring


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join HDForums

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Sponsors

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Internet Brands, Inc.