Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

heads and cams...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 04:58 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts
Default heads and cams...

OK, so I'm looking to get a little more power (like everyone else) and have pretty much decided to get the the heads done. Mostly valve work with a little clean up to the heads I guess would be the more acurate thing to say. Anyways, I've been getting mixed reviews on going forward with that without changing my cams. Right now I am running 255's. Also, I have a PCV but it's not in the bike at the moment. I wasn't happy with the results as there are no dyno guys even close to where I live, so I've been waiting to get the auto tune to go with it. Will the PCV with auto-tune and a canned map be enough to keep me happy? (I know I should get a tune, but there is really no one around). Also, I'm running S&S a/c and V&H BSL, as well as the 103 big bore and auto compression release. I know I don't have the best power pipes, but I'm keeping them, so lets not even go there... Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:24 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm sure more in the know guys will chime in soon but I think spending the headwork $$ when using 255 cams isn't the best investment. Radiusing the valves, cleaning up the ports and maybe 1.900 intakes will open up the heads but 255 cams won't take advantage of that. They pretty much sign off before 4000rpm and the heads will shine well above that. Maybe think about another cam and a .030 head gasket to go along with the head work ??

Old 09-10-2011, 05:30 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,494 Posts

If you are going to pull the heads for some work, might as well, at least, have a "street" port ala BigBoyz done. If you like the 255s keep them but if you want to extend the torque curve out past 4000rpms, you need to be thinking cams. Select cam first and have heads worked to the cam.

In the absence of a tuner, might consider selling the PCV and looking at the TMax with auto tune or the new Rev Performance EMS system. JMHO, never been a PC fan.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:27 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 255's are not the cam to use if you are deceasing the combustion chamber volume and raising compression. Due to their early intake close you could end up with very high CCP, tuning issues and as others have said, power that signs off early in the RPM range.

If you like the feel of the torque lower in the rpm range that the 255's currently give you but want to raise compression and get a bit more performance, check out the T-man 600s, Andrews 37, Headquarters 500, all set at about 9.8 to 10.0:1.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:26 AM
richie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 255 cams & heads

It will not hurt at all to have head work done with the 255's, a regular street port job from Bean at Big Boyz or performance heads from Harley. I use the new CNC ported heads from the catalog part no 16500013A with 255's and am very happy with the performance of my bike. I can always switch cams to the Andrews 37 or other cam with mid range intake close and still utilize the heads . I would give it a shot , think you will be pleasantly surprised. Unless you are running a hot rod bike with specialty heads,high lift cams with a late close and pistons designed and matched to a high revving application a better flowing head with around the same cc;s as you presently have is an improvement to the 255;s as the bike will breathe better and gain horsepower. I gained a little ove 4 hp with the head change.
Oh, and there is a map available from Fuel Moto for PCV for a 103 with 255's and head work .

Old 09-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by troop
I'm sure more in the know guys will chime in soon but I think spending the headwork $$ when using 255 cams isn't the best investment. Radiusing the valves, cleaning up the ports and maybe 1.900 intakes will open up the heads but 255 cams won't take advantage of that. They pretty much sign off before 4000rpm and the heads will shine well above that. Maybe think about another cam and a .030 head gasket to go along with the head work ??
A set of good heads, with either a Wood 6, or an Andrews 37, will have your 103 singing a surprisingly different song.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:37 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks guys. Gonna talk to the guy doing my head work in the next few days and see what he says. I'm guessing in the end that I will be changing the cams, but like Richie said, it wont hurt to give it a try with what I have. Can always run the bike back in to the shop in the spring for a cam change. I am going to ask about the thicker gasket though since I don't want to miss something like that the first time around and end up taking the heads off again...

Old 09-14-2011, 06:01 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

I'd dump that heat-producing, school-bus cam asap, and while your guy is installing your valves, cc/surface the heads for the cam you are going to run, and install it, at that time as well.
You'll be better off in the long run.
Scott