Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Clicking noise in engine.. Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 11:43 PM
bigpapakus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noise in engine.. Please Help

I am hearing a clicking noise in the engine of my 03 carbed Softail with 30,000 miles. I would have to say it sounds like from the front head, almost like rocker arm hitting something. I seem to hear it after engine has been running for a while when I am down shifting using engine to slow down. I use SE Synthetic oil in engine. Is clicking noise normal? Anyone else had this and had it diagnosed? Anything I can do?

Old 11-20-2006, 12:44 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Clicking noise in engine.. Please Help

At that mileage, I'd check 2 things. 1) loose comp nut 2) cam tensioner shoes. Not saying that they are the culprits, but not uncommon and a good check anyway.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:35 AM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Maybe lifter noise? Have you checked your oil level lately? If your real low on oil you could be starving your lifters; bad ju ju.

Z

Old 11-20-2006, 11:18 AM
500MAG
Cruiser

Possibly the primary chain is loose and is hitting the top of case, unless that year had the auto tensioner.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:22 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Lifters. HD lifters go out at about 30,000 miles.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:30 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

tracking down noise can be tricky when you have the bike on a lift but over the internet well that gets even harder. First off lets talk about the noise

Does it make the noise hot or cold??

Is it louder at any time??

Have you changed anything in the bike lately?? Anything at all

noise will travel around so it can be hard to locate/ pin point the noise.

What type of carb are you using CV/ Mik, as Mik will make some noise in the slide

What spark plug are you using??

Have you had the bike tuned??

Some of these may not seem to matter but they do. WE had a bike that made noise in the cruise area, turned out the split fire plug was causing it???!!! That was a first for me we swapped the plugs out for regular style and noise was gone. Dunno that was weird but bottom line problem found issue solved customer happy

Old 11-20-2006, 12:02 PM
bigpapakus
Advanced

One_Screaming_Eagle said Comp Nut. What is that?

HDWrench, I just change the oil and put new plugs in. Haven't had a chance to listen if it still does it yet. I have the stock carb. It was rejetted and stage one put in when I bought it brand new. It seems to do it more when engine is hot and has been ridden a while. I hear it mostly like I said when I down shift and slowing down but am pretty sure it does it at cruising as well.. It speeds up and slows down with engine speed.

SleepnEagle you said lifters... How hard is that to change or do I need to bring to a Harley mechanic. I am an auto mechanic but haven't been inside a harley engine much. Is there an easy way to verify this? If this is the problem and I keep driving the bike can I mess the engine up?

The bike drives fine, has the power it had day one, other than the noise there is nothing wrong....

Old 11-20-2006, 08:42 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't say it wqas it, I said that with that mileage and that vintage I would check it. It's the big hollow nut that is inside the primary holding your compensator assembly to the motor. Even if it's not the culprit on your bike I would check it.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:34 AM
bigpapakus
Advanced

Is that easy to check? How do I check it? Can it be checked by taking the derby cover or inspection cover off or do I have to take the whole outer primary off? Where is it located? The only nut I remember seeing is the one that hold the tensioner on. I rode my bike today but not very much and it seems like it may have gone away now that I have changed the oil but not sure yet. I will take a long ride tomorrow and see if that does it.

On another note, I replaced my plugs to the champion plugs RA8HC and it seems like now when it is cold it doesn't want to stay running as good as with the harley plugs? Anyone experience this?

Old 11-24-2006, 01:10 PM
bigpapakus
Advanced

OK.. I rode the bike the other day. It seems to make the noise when I am riding although it is hard to hear. When I down shift to slow down I can hear it the most but it seems when I pull the clutch in while driving or at idle in neutral it doesn't do it. This makes it really hard to trace since I have to be moving to find the noise but it does seem to be coming from front head but could be wrong.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise in engine.. Please Help