Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

A Motor VS B motor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Race freak
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Motor VS B motor?

Why couldnt you put in a Softail Motor into a FLH frame? I know it will not work the other way beacause on is Balanced internaly and the FLH is Not?

Old 11-07-2011, 04:22 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

If you have a machine shop at your disposal, almost anything is possible.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:58 AM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why dont you have the chain removed from the b motor and get the crank work done. No more chain no more probs.....Now you can rev the bike past 6000 grand and put some power to it.
We are building a B motor for 08 rocker that will make 200 hp no prob.. this winter.
Thats what we do in house.

Originally Posted by Race freak
Why couldnt you put in a Softail Motor into a FLH frame? I know it will not work the other way beacause on is Balanced internaly and the FLH is Not?

Old 11-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

We NEVER remove the chain or counter-balance system.
Nothing wrong with that system, as the imports have had those for years, and the Moco adopted that into use for the Softails.
The B engines here, have a track record of being our top producers.
Many folks have pulled the balancers, and even precision balanced, they "buzz" like an old Shovel, has been the chronic complaint.
Scott

Old 11-08-2011, 05:38 AM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor

I don't know about a buzz. When we do them there isn't a buzz.
We coat all are cranks for friction. The cranks cuts through oil like butter.
When we do them in house we drill out where you're timken goes in and weld back up to fit a different timken back in no sleeve. Makes it stronger. Any time you add something it puts a wall between parts that adds noise. You don't feel much on a rubber mount but on a frame mount you will. Remembered we work on many many metric bikes just finished 425 hp ninja. When you do the bottom right on a b motor you. Wont have any buzz.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:30 AM
streetg131
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've rode a couple EVO softails that friends had re-built with a proper balance job on the lower end and they were surprisingly smooth for built motors. Can you feel the motor? Of course,they are solid mount, but not that annoying buzz feeling, just a proper HD pulse.

Last edited by streetg131; 11-08-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

As I said we NEVER pull the balancers, and have no plans of starting.
We have re-built HUNDREDS of cranks here in almost 3 decades of being in business, with dedicated S&S crankshaft tooling.
We even are able to balance 45" Flatheads, with custom, on-off in-house tooling.
Our clients rave about the smoothness of our crankwork, on the pre-99 assemblys that we do.
We send all our T/C crankwork to our friends, and the undisputed industry leaders in T/C crank re-building. Hoban Bros., Darkhorse Crankworks, Newton, Wisconsin.
www.darkhorsecrankworks.com
There are folks on these message boards, that, if they had the chance, WOULD NOT have pulled the balancers, if they were to do it again. Fact.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:26 AM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor

That's great scott nobody's knocking the way you have Darkhorse do your cranks. But when other's take the chain out they dont have issue's dosn't mean there wrong. But when you are trying to put 170/hp200 hp on a B motor you don't leave the chain inside it will break. I know John knows that. And there are other issues. But every shop is different. I just talked to John 2 weeks ago about S&S crank. But what I want to do in house I have never done, but even he said pull the chain it will snap. But what I asked him he has never done it either. But that's whats fun about this doing something different than others and being a leader in industry. I love the challenge. If you would try one of our bottoms ends we do in house, We would be happy to work with you. So you can have that nice pulse no buzz B motor.

Last edited by DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS; 11-09-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:28 AM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor

It sucks typing from this phone with fat fingers lol lol
Originally Posted by DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
That's great scott nobody's knocking the way you have darkhorse do your crank. But when other do it and don't have an issue. Maybe you should are way when your trying to put 170/hp200 hp on a b motor you don't leave the chain inside it will break. I know John knows that. And there other issues.But every shop is different. I just talked to john 2 weeks ago about s&s crank. But what I want do in house I have never done but even he said pull the chain it will snap. But what i asked he has never done either. But that's whats fun about this doing something different than others and being a leader in industry. I love the challenge. If you to try one of our bottoms end we do in house would be happy to work with so you can that nice pulse no buzz b motor.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

That's a great debate guys but wasn't his question more related to the mounting of the two different motors? Isn't the answer that they mount differently and the cases are diffeerent from each other?

Quick Reply: A Motor VS B motor?