Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

how to get compression ratio on 95 build

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 08:32 PM
jurgie
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default how to get compression ratio on 95 build

I have an tc 88. Stock compression,have mackie 510 cams stage1 ac se exhaust. I going to bore to 95 put cast se flat top pistons and street port the heads. I want 9.8.1 compression.Tell me what i have to do to get there please.Such as decking the heads,size of head gasket etc. thanks much.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 AM
shineybike
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my heads street ported, chambers cc'd at 82, heads milled slightly (don't know exactly how much), 0.030 gaskets, adjustable pushrods. I'm at just about 9.8:1.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:19 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by jurgie
I have an tc 88. Stock compression,have mackie 510 cams stage1 ac se exhaust. I going to bore to 95 put cast se flat top pistons and street port the heads. I want 9.8.1 compression.Tell me what i have to do to get there please.Such as decking the heads,size of head gasket etc. thanks much.
Sounds like you are planning to do the work yourself? You need to figure this one out and become familiar with the math. Open the link to the BigBoyz compression calculator and work with it to answer your questio; you will see all the variables that go into the compression calculation.

A couple of points about compression for future reference. There is static compression, corrected or dynamic compression and cranking compression and all should be considered. Corrected and cranking CR will vary depending on the timing of the intake valve closing but static CR will remain the same as it is not affected by valve timing.

There is room for debate about what a reasonable level of corrected and cranking CR for a street build is; some like 9.3 corrected as the limit an some think 9.6 is the limit. When cranking compression approaches 190psi, you are in compression releas territory; maybe not a must but nice to have if/when needed. Compression releases will also extend battery and starter life if used.

A .030" head gasket does drop the static CR by about .25 points less than with the OEM head gasket but the more important reason for the .030" head gasket is to tighten up the squish, also referred to as the quench, area in the combustion chamber for a more complete and efficient burn of the air/fuel charge.

In your application, you will need to deck your heads to reduce chamber volume to about 80cc, with a .030" head gasket to hit 9.8 static CR assuming your deck height is 0.00 which it most likely is not. Typically OEM pistons are down in the hole .003"-.005" which will affect the CR calculation a bit. At 9.8CR, your corrected CR should be about 9.1 and cranking between 185-190psi. Not a bad place for a street build; should be a good runner.

Check out the BigBoyz calculator; it is a handy tool.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:28 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

You can "assume" for every .007" you remove from the gasket surface, it'll decrease chamber volume by 1 cc.
Abitrarily doing so will not insure all is right, nor will it take into account variances from one chamber to the other.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

Take it to an expert and get him to do it! This is hardly DIY stuff.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:31 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

i agree,just the fact your asking the question,tells me you shouldnt DIY

Old 11-18-2011, 01:32 PM
jurgie
Tourer

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
i agree,just the fact your asking the question,tells me you shouldnt diy
thanks for your info. Iam sending the heads and cylinders in . Just had some questions. Bean will be doing the work i will be installing them.dyno will be done by fuel moto thanks alot

Old 11-18-2011, 01:38 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

thanks for your info. Iam sending the heads and cylinders in . Just had some questions. Bean will be doing the work i will be installing them.dyno will be done by fuel moto thanks alot
Bean will get it right. You should take the time to learn this stuff anyway but Bean will get it right while you learn.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:47 PM
jurgie
Tourer

Originally Posted by djl
Bean will get it right. You should take the time to learn this stuff anyway but Bean will get it right while you learn.
djl. Thanks for your input and your right I will figure the numbers out. I just keep learning and doing. By the way your numbers you gave me were right on. Thanks jurgie

Old 03-16-2014, 09:48 PM
John Luich
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 95ci with 204 cams chain drive, I'm switching to carbs from magneti marelli efi . What is my compression ratio? should I go Super E or G ?
I was told, under 10 E, Over 10 G. Is this true ?

Last edited by John Luich; 03-17-2014 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: how to get compression ratio on 95 build