Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

How to quiet drag pipes just a bit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 02:22 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: How to quiet drag pipes just a bit?

Skip,
I will put the reducers in the end of the pipes Monday, with the small end toward the outlet. When I put the lollipops in, the raspiness went away and the sound seems more mellow and lower in tone. I also think the sound level went down a hair, but it may just be the adjustment of tone, not the volume. I really like the sound of the exhaust, just wish I could turn it down a bit, without changing the performance or the sound quality.
I know that your suggestions for putting lollipops and reducers into drag pipes is for adding back pressure, to improve low to mid range throttle response. I figure anything I put in the pipes, that alters the exhaust flow, should lower the volume, maybe not enough to be noticeable.
What do you think about my idea of drilling holes in the small diameter section of the reducers.
Tom

Old 12-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Denbo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 04 fatboy(carb) with the same exhaust system and I was looking to quiet it down a bit also I love the way it sounds that is why I put those pipes on but sometimes on a long drive when I get off the bike my ears are still ringing.I was looking at the torque cones myself to quiet it down a bit.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:09 PM
chrism84
Advanced

the torque cones will nto wuite anything down...i tried them as well they did nothing for the sound or performance...well atleast with sound the performance im not sure of.....hey what style pipes are these...they are only 13/4 all the way through the pipe???? and the heat shield is 2 1/4?? b/c i would lvoe to get another set of samson b/c they look great but for sporties i have not seen anything smaller than 2 1/4 by samson and they are just not good with these evo motors

Old 12-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Denbo
Tourer

They are ripsaw 2's they do look great and sound better but like I said earlier on a long drive my ears ring.They are 1-3/4 all the way and then the heat sheilds make them appear to look 2".I would of thought the torque cones would of helped a bit on making it a little quieter though.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:45 PM
70 GTO
Novice

I own a 2003 sporty 1200 with SE11's on it. I took the baffles out to see how it would sound, but I am still not happy with it. I can get a set of drag pipes for under $40, can anyone tell me pro's or con's on drag pipes? I noticed low end torque loss when I took off the baffles off the SE'11's. Will it get worse with the d-pipes? If anyone runs drag pipes, can you let me know how you like them? Thank you........

Old 12-04-2006, 08:30 PM
chrism84
Advanced

ya know im not a mechanice or anything by any means....but i have experience straight pipes first hand and tried several remedies...The power cones will not quite anything they are to help reversion of the gases ( to revent them from going back into the engine,,,,suppossedly)...what teh ydo do is cut down o nthe diamter at the head of the pipe....the next thing is baffles in straight pipe.////i have straight pipes on my 99 sporty....samsun big guns and i had no back pressure i went and bought baffles and made them fit into these pipes....they were slahed at the end so it wasnt made to have baffles....so my indy shop cut the baffles a certain way that they fit perfectly....i installed them and man let me tell you what a differnce....my low end and mid picked up ALOT.....drag pipes really do more harm than good without baffles....i mean even with baffles your not getting ful performance....but they help....my suggesition to anyone that gets strraight pipes it to install baffles....and the baffles quited these bad boys down A TINY BIT not much....but in regards to drag pipes they will kill you low end and mid...only good for high

Old 12-05-2006, 01:33 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

I just ordered a pair of KromeWorks drag pipe baffles from J&P. I hope these will quiet the volume down, to just loud, without changing the tone or performance. I will leave the lollipops in the turn down tips. I can experiment by changing the degree of the lollipops and if need be remove them completely.
Tom

Old 12-05-2006, 01:41 PM
chrism84
Advanced

good lcxu kand safe ridin/.....bike looks great....and remember loud is your friend sometimes haha

Old 12-05-2006, 03:22 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: chrism84

good lcxu kand safe ridin/.....bike looks great....and remember loud is your friend sometimes haha

Thanks chrism84,
I'm fairly sure, even with the ChromeWerks drag pipe baffles , my bike will be louder than the average HD. I am not trying to switch to a quiet exhaust sound, just switch from outrageous loud to just loud.
Tom

Old 12-06-2006, 11:45 AM
flstcbob
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have run the kromeworks baffles and they quiet drag pipes just a hair, and give you a noticable boost in the low and mid rpms. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: How to quiet drag pipes just a bit?