Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Side to side Pushrod movment at TDC ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:18 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Side to side Pushrod movment at TDC ???

I suddenly have a lot of "bag of marbles" noise once the motor is up to temp. Though sounds great before it gets up to temp. Just pulled a oil change, checked the level a few times. So no low oil. I have good pressure,

I'm thinking expansion from heat failed lifter/tappet or the adjustable pushrod is having issues. I pulled the covers off the pushrods got the bike to TDC and there is some play, not up & down but left to right you can hear it "clank". If I understand it right the manual states
"Wiggle both rocker arms. There should be free play which indicates that both valves are closed and the piston is at top dead center
(TDC) on the compression stroke. Also, the push rods are in the unloaded position."

Or am I misunderstanding "free play" would mean movement left to right or up down ? Yes the pushrods move easily left to right.

I even shot a youtube video

http://youtu.be/iA2bAEOp4Sg

As always thanks.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Adjustable pushrods indicates that the engine has been worked on. It would help to know the details of the current configuration and how many miles on the build.

You should have some movement at TDC with both valves closed and rocker arm unloaded but not that much; the rocker arms don't really "wiggle". If you have one pushrod that is moving around more than the others, pull that pushrod and take a look; could be bent. Check the adjustor; it could be loose. What adjustables did you use? Pull the rocker covers and look up top at the rocker arm. How long has this been going on?

Give us some more information and maybe we can help.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:31 PM
TO34
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by djl
Adjustable pushrods indicates that the engine has been worked on. It would help to know the details of the current configuration and how many miles on the build.

You should have some movement at TDC with both valves closed and rocker arm unloaded but not that much; the rocker arms don't really "wiggle". If you have one pushrod that is moving around more than the others, pull that pushrod and take a look; could be bent. Check the adjustor; it could be loose. What adjustables did you use? Pull the rocker covers and look up top at the rocker arm. How long has this been going on?

Give us some more information and maybe we can help.
Just started today, Motor has 96,700 but had the top end rebuilt just 1,200 miles ago by local indy. SE cam plate upgrade no cam upgrade with MMI efi. I'm going to pull the top end tomorrow I hate not knowing my bike & really hate letting other people work on it. I'm use to wrenching on inline 4's with few issue so a V twin can not be that hard. I just need to get in there & follow the manual.

Last edited by TO34; 02-13-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 AM
Fierofly
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Push your tubes up and see if they are adjustables. Wiggle the bottom side to side, there should be NO side play. If they are adjustable, find out WHY they came loose. If they are not, You need to tear down further and check lifters and rockers and ?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:31 AM
TO34
Road Warrior

They are adjustable, knew that going in. Going to pull the top open after work today. No side to side movement at the bottom thankfully.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:58 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by TO34
Just started today, Motor has 96,700 but had the top end rebuilt just 1,200 miles ago by local indy. SE cam plate upgrade no cam upgrade with MMI efi. I'm going to pull the top end tomorrow I hate not knowing my bike & really hate letting other people work on it. I'm use to wrenching on inline 4's with few issue so a V twin can not be that hard. I just need to get in there & follow the manual.
You can work on a Harley with a rock and a stick. Before pulling it apart, why not pull the pushrod and checking it to see it it is bent or loose? Could save you some time. Let us know what you find when you pull it apart.

Last edited by djl; 02-14-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:55 PM
250REDNECK
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you sure you are not hearing the rockers slide back an d forth on the shaft? there is clearence in the rocker shaft from side to side.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:31 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 250REDNECK
are you sure you are not hearing the rockers slide back an d forth on the shaft? there is clearence in the rocker shaft from side to side.
+1 with that. If you remove the push rods, remove the cam chest cover and check the cam plate and oil pump.