Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Overheated engine - resulting problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 02:57 AM
CowboyShane
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheated engine - resulting problems

Please forgo the browbeating as I know I was careless and messed up my Softail. Just looking for answers of what's wrong now.

'03 Heritage, 1450 cc. In an effort to recharge the battery I jump started my bike and let it idle in the garage for about 20 minutes, when I returned to my garage the engine was still running but smoking pretty badly. I shut her down immediately. I also noticed a couple of drops of oil had come down from the air filter area. I let it sit for over an hour to cool and it was still pretty hot after an hour so I checked the spark plugs - they didn't appear to be burnt up or anything, pretty normal looking - and I changed the oil and oil filter - the oil I drained out didn't appear to be burned up either. Both good signs I figured.

After changing the oil and checking her over came the moment of truth, she started up fine and idled normally. So I took it for a quick ride and that's when a problem showed up - as I was obviously nervous right from the start that I had caused irreversible damage to the engine. As I headed down the street I immediately noticed that the throttle had become VERY stiff. Note: At no time did I ever touch the handle bars and throttle during this ordeal. Because the throttle is now very stiff I'm unable to accelerate quickly. I headed home and shut it down. That's the end of my story.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:07 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

Maybe just the throttle cable housing melted around the cable down by the carb.I would disconnect the cable and start it and see if you can work the carb manually.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:10 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

These air-cooled motors can take more heat than you think...agree w/Capt Itch. Check throttle cable & other plastic items in/around engine for warping/melting/bubbling...