Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Port Heads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 02:49 AM
user 46092
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Port Heads?

Doing to a Woods TW-777 cam install, and want to know if this would be the time to do some head work like decking, port, and polishing them? Will headwork complement the heads, or stay stock until I do a 107" kit (if I do s 107" kit)?
Thanks

Old 04-16-2012, 05:26 AM
bigjoe1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the problem, if you deck the heads to get compression up to where the cams need it be on your 96" engine, then decide later to do a 107, compression will be much too high with the big bore. If you leave the heads stock for now, you may not see much in the way of an improvement by just installing the cams. I would do it all together and be done with it.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 AM
bajabob123
Novice
Thumbs up

OR.........put in an Andrews 48 tune it ride it and when your ready to go 107 sell it and recover most of your cost

Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 203 Posts

Best bet would be to do it all at once. You may be able to just do headwork minus milling and use a Cometic .030 head gasket, but not sure that is going to get your compression up to where it should be.

Give Scott (Hillside Cycle) a call and talk it over with him - they can do whatever level of headwork you need, mild street to wild strip, and have custom Wiseco 107" pistons if you decide to dive in. He can give you solid advice and do great work if you decide to go with them. Also, they love Woods cams, so know their stuff regarding their application. Should be able to get to 107" without breaking the budget, and your ride would be a screamer!

Roger

Old 04-16-2012, 11:32 AM
4srco2
3rd Gear

My 2003 Harley FLHTCUI blew a cam bearing which damaged oil pump and had scoring on crank, cams, and flywheel. So I had an engine rebuild Has VH exhaust and it was discovered it already had been bored to 95 ci and had ported heads. I upgraded to 103 ci and Andrews TW 37 .510 cams as parts cost for this was same or less then maintaining 95 ci.
But I now need ECM remap or some upgrade as it now runs rough, doesn't maintain idle, and can spit thru throttle body. Consequently bike is sitting now until I can mend.
Can anyone recommend? Thanks.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:06 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by bajabob123
OR.........put in an Andrews 48 tune it ride it and when your ready to go 107 sell it and recover most of your cost
Very good advice. The Andrews 48 is probably the best cam for a cam only upgrade to a TC96; cheap performance. The later heads actually flow fairly well for OEM castings, so a cam like the 48 with an early intake close will wake things up. Upgrade the inner cam bearings while you are at it and convert to adjustable pushrods, tune. By the time you get used to the new power, you will be ready for headwork, larger displacement and different cams. Good plan if interested in phasing.

The other way to go would be do it all now; bore, new pistons, headwork and cams.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:19 PM
josh1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put the tw-777 and woods Directional lifters in my 103 flhx and its a blast. The bike is a screamer! I spoke with Bobby Woods about that a few times and he told me don't waste your time with the heads. Its not worth the return on your money invested. Save up and do the 107 kit you'll be super happy. The fuelmoto kit looks like a real winner!

Old 04-16-2012, 01:32 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by josh1
I just put the tw-777 and woods Directional lifters in my 103 flhx and its a blast. The bike is a screamer! I spoke with Bobby Woods about that a few times and he told me don't waste your time with the heads. Its not worth the return on your money invested. Save up and do the 107 kit you'll be super happy. The fuelmoto kit looks like a real winner!
If you don't want any help in the upper mid and upper rpm ranges, passing on headwork on a cost/benefit basis might make sense. However, if you want some more HP on the upper end where the torque is fading, not so much.

Run your bike up against another with the same build but with ported heads and then tell us if headwork is a waste of money.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

People, people, people.
Good cylinder head work, really makes a HUGE, repeat HUGE, difference in a build, from the ability to grab more air initially, building more torque sooner, enhance the mid-range, with increased cylider fill, and lastly, spool off more hp, at peak.
Another benefit that a GOOD cylinder head offers, is that it will show cooler operation, of a build, vs without.
This is not something we pulled out of a hat.........
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:24 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Listen to guys like Scott and DJL. With the heads already off to deal with the cylinders/pistons, I cannot imagine why you wouldn't want to address the heads at the same time. At a minimum, cc the chamber the volume so you know what you have.

Quick Reply: Port Heads?