Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Oil weep

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:22 PM
sjbodie
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil weep

Hello Guys
I gained a fair amount of knowledge from the threads on this forum! Very stoked to be a part of it!
I'd consider myself a pretty fair wrench. Not afraid of mechanicals.
In any event...
I noticed a bit of oil weep on my 88B, coming from the passage way just behind the rear cylinder spark plug. Its not much. I scrubbed it away, last wash. It returned.
Not that big a deal, really. My motor is about to turn 25,000. But, I like to handle things before they go big....

My question is...Does anyone think its a good idea to pull the tank, seat, and rocker box cover... to inspect and re-torque the rocker box housing?

After staring at the manual and the cylinder, i figure the leak is either the gasket under the rocker box housing and/or the breather baffle O ring.

That being said....replacing the gasket under the rocker box would require removing the rockers.

Im thinking more of just re-torque the rocker box housing and replace the Breather O ring..

Would anyone else put the effort into this....or just wait for a top end tear down??

Thanks for your comments!

Last edited by sjbodie; 05-05-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:49 AM
highmarket
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sjbodie
Hello Guys
I gained a fair amount of knowledge from the threads on this forum! Very stoked to be a part of it!
I'd consider myself a pretty fair wrench. Not afraid of mechanicals.
In any event...
I noticed a bit of oil weep on my 88B, coming from the passage way just behind the rear cylinder spark plug. Its not much. I scrubbed it away, last wash. It returned.
Not that big a deal, really. My motor is about to turn 25,000. But, I like to handle things before they go big....

My question is...Does anyone think its a good idea to pull the tank, seat, and rocker box cover... to inspect and re-torque the rocker box housing?

After staring at the manual and the cylinder, i figure the leak is either the gasket under the rocker box housing and/or the breather baffle O ring.

That being said....replacing the gasket under the rocker box would require removing the rockers.

Im thinking more of just re-torque the rocker box housing and replace the Breather O ring..

Would anyone else put the effort into this....or just wait for a top end tear down??

Thanks for your comments!
I have a 2002 88B with 25,000 miles. I noticed the same thing, it almost seems it`s coming from the head casting. have you changed out the rocker gasket yet?

Old 02-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

I would not worry about a weep but if it developed a drip it could get annoying. Mine has always slobbered from the intake at high rpm but I just wipe the old girl's chin and keep getting up. Do not torque the heads. They are a stretch torque down at torque and then angle. O-ring rubber is just getting hard. Probably at 75-100k or 10 years it will drip. Long ways away. Enjoy it. Do not be it's slave

Old 02-08-2013, 04:04 PM
highmarket
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I would not worry about a weep but if it developed a drip it could get annoying. Mine has always slobbered from the intake at high rpm but I just wipe the old girl's chin and keep getting up. Do not torque the heads. They are a stretch torque down at torque and then angle. O-ring rubber is just getting hard. Probably at 75-100k or 10 years it will drip. Long ways away. Enjoy it. Do not be it's slave
I agree, let it weep, Looking at the two square holes behind the spark plug with a good light it appears there is no opening to the separation of the push rod loop seal and the valve spring loop seal. I tried to find a hole through them with a piece of wire with no luck, you can see the gasket very well with a light from the exhaust side where the head bolt are and there is no leak and very clean in that cavity I`m thinking it`s from the breather valve bolt holes that thread on each side of these square holes?
Your thoughts please.