Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Andrews 26G tested

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Andrews 26G tested

Well, got it all back together and fired it up this evening - 35 deg F here, but, what the heck. Coughed and sputtered a bit - no doubt the fact that I had disconnected the fuel line to install oil pressure and temp gauges. Settled down into a really nice idle - took it out and warmed it up a bit. Motor runs quite well - after a 4-5 mile ride and on the way home, I opened it up a tad - better power/torque/whatever - I can feel the difference even though the cam is quite mild, according to the figures. One problem - when I got home, oil was dripping from, well, looks like the pushrod(s). Hmmmm, gotta check that out in the morning - all gaskets seem to be seated OK - but, perhaps one is not. Other than that and a bit of gear whine which I was expecting, very happy with the results, so far.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:38 PM
navyman
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Andrews 26G tested

When I had my cams done, I had a cut o-ring on one of the pushrod covers. Oil everywhere. I can still smell it when I stop even though it was 1200 miles ago. I just can't seem to get the residue completely cleaned up. Oh well, it runs good.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:58 AM
fiddledicksr
Cruiser

How bad were your tensioners worn? Just did the same thing before christmas, had to change the cam plate and oil pump. By pass started sticking in the cam plate and when the stealership look at the oil pump it had grooves. I would watch the oil pressure for flucuating and premeture low oil pressure before engine and oil is at operating temp. This is what caught my eye when riding.

other than that this is the cam Harley should put in all touring bike, went for a ride this weekend with my other half and you could really notice the difference, easier take offs from stop with out stumbling.

did you get a dyno or a download?

Old 01-10-2007, 09:33 AM
YankeeBob
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: navyman

When I had my cams done, I had a cut o-ring on one of the pushrod covers. Oil everywhere. I can still smell it when I stop even though it was 1200 miles ago. I just can't seem to get the residue completely cleaned up. Oh well, it runs good.
Must be still leaking somewhere.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

Hi Terry - the tensioners looked like new - not bad after 14,000 miles, I thought. I attribute that to good oil, Red Line 20W-50 synthetic. I also use their oil in the transmission. Primary gets cheap Pennzoil 20W-50 or whatever's on sale at the time - definitely NOT synthetic in the primary (wet chutches don't like synthetic oil). I have not had a dyno run done as yet since I just discovered the oil leak. I have to wipe it down this morning and then run it to see where it's coming from. I suspect a pushrod tube or tubes. I agree that Harley should use this cam in the first place. This motor has a lot of potential and I have just scratched the surface. Of course, HD makes an awful lot of $$ by people doing upgrades - and, many people like me love working on engines. Guess I'd be disappointed if I couldn't wrench a little now and then. I'll report back on the leak as soon as it's found (hopefully this morning). If anyone has a suggestion regarding what I could have done wrong at the pushrod end of things, please chime in and thanks. ----Ted

Old 01-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

Leak was found and fixed - I had the pushrod tubes incorrectly assembled. My bad. All is well now and the bike feels like I added 7 cubic inches to the cylinders. Wow - a tremendous difference, seat of the pants. I will have it dyno'd and will report back.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:48 PM
fiddledicksr
Cruiser

Did you install stright up or advance it?

Old 01-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

Take a look at the INSTALL PIX.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Rotti1
Advanced

Thanks for putting pics up. Only 8000km on mine but next winter I'll be doing this.
Did you use the Jims too for the inner bearing? How hard is the press out of the cams from the cam plate? Did you notice the outer gears were tight to put on?
Thanks in advance

Smitty

Old 01-10-2007, 09:56 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master

Ted, how did ya remove and install the cam bearings? Also, how did install the new cams into the cam plate?

Quick Reply: Andrews 26G tested