Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Compression test on a dry cylinder

Old 01-17-2007, 10:46 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Compression test on a dry cylinder

Hey all...

I'm looking to do some performance upgrades (carb, cam, exhaust, ignition) before Minnesota's riding season starts back up, but I'd like to find out the state of my engine before dropping $$$ only to find out I should've had some engine work done instead.

My question is, since my bike has been sitting winterized since early December, how much (if any) real damage can be done by performing compression / leakdown tests on an engine that hasn't been run for a month and a half?

Old 01-17-2007, 10:57 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Compression test on a dry cylinder

Compression tests on cold motors are invalid. They need to have some heat in them.
1) Warm motor - not hot to temp as you need to remove the plugs and removing hot plugs promotes galling
2) Good battey
3) Both plugs out
4) WOT while cranking

Old 01-18-2007, 02:14 AM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

ORIGINAL: One_Screamin_Eagle

Compression tests on cold motors are invalid. They need to have some heat in them.
1) Warm motor - not hot to temp as you need to remove the plugs and removing hot plugs promotes galling
2) Good battey
3) Both plugs out
4) WOT while cranking
OSE:

Care to elaborate on the comment about removing hot plugs promotes galling? Sounds like something I'd like to know more about.

Z

Old 01-18-2007, 12:16 PM
mentor70
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, you should have plenty of time to do your motor. I dont think riddin season starts up there until like May or June right

Old 01-18-2007, 10:54 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

mentor70
Well, you should have plenty of time to do your motor. I dont think riddin season starts up there until like May or June right
For most people. But if the roads are dry and there's been some decent rain to wash the salt off the road (and it's above freezing)...I'll
ride.

One_Screamin_Eagle
Compression tests on cold motors are invalid...
I understand that a cold engine will produce lower numbers as the components have not had the chance to grow to their ideal operating size, but I can still learn something from them.

I'm not interested in how good my compression is...I wanna know what condition my engine is in.

And if I do this, will I cause any real damage by cranking the engine over a few times without any lubrication on the cylinder walls...or should I add some oil through the plug hole, let it settle, crank it over a few times to let the oil spread over the cylinder, then let 'er sit for a while so I don't end up performing a wet test.