Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

New Road King won't rev...any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Torquespeedshop
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Road King won't rev...any advice?

Hey Guys,

We just finished customizing a 2012 FLHR for a customer. After reassembling the bike we started it no problem. Went to twist the throttle and there was nothing. There are no codes showing up on the dash. I tried two new Twist grip sensors using the proper procedure, nothing. I took everything out of the fuel tank to check for kinks/leaks etc., everything seems fine. Checked the plugs going to the ecm, throttle body, etc. and still no luck. I am a 5 hr drive from the dealer so I would love to avoid that if at all possible. Just wondering if someone may be able to shed some light and have an idea of something that I may have not checked. The bike is brand new, and it ran perfect before disassembly, so there must be something out of place. Also, the battery was out of the bike during the entire project.

Thank you!
-Matt

Attached Thumbnails New Road King won't rev...any advice?-291072_456522611047476_195335827_o.jpg  
Old 09-05-2012, 09:41 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try this.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/55139820/2...ouring-TT418-1

Also try this. Just turn the key on off on off on off on and crank up and the parameter may reset.

Last edited by ajayrk; 09-05-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Torquespeedshop
Stage III

Thanks a ton for the help! I am not showing any codes.. Do you think it is possible that this still may be a problem?

Tks,
Matt

Old 09-05-2012, 02:07 PM
ajayrk
Road Master

Originally Posted by Torquespeedshop
Thanks a ton for the help! I am not showing any codes.. Do you think it is possible that this still may be a problem?

Tks,
Matt
Try it it won't hurt. The bike appears to gone into limp home mode.

Replug the ECM and the plug at the throttle control box. Then try the reinitialize procedure.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:48 PM
ajayrk
Road Master

Another thing to check, is the twist grip engaging the teeth on the throttle sensor?

Last edited by ajayrk; 09-06-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:42 AM
n2ofaster
Advanced

what did you do to the bike when it was apart ?? Did you do any work on the throttle body ??

Old 09-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Torquespeedshop
Stage III

Ajayrk, Yes it is. I have two other 2012's here that I took the twist grip sensor off and tried...no luck. I even used the multimeter to check for proper connection from twist grip sensor to ECM and from throttle control actuator on Throttle body to ECM. Everything was fine. Up until now I completely thought it was something I did however I am beginning to think other wise. Someone even suggested maybe it had something to do with the fuel pump so I swapped fuel tanks with a new bike and nothing.

n2ofaster, Most of the the mods were cosmetic, stretched bags, fender, wheels, paint etc. No the throttle body was not even touched....yet unplugged. There were no engine mods done to the bike. It is getting quite frusterating. I am wondering if the HD computer may tell me more than what the dash codes (none) offer? The dealers here don't seem to have much of a clue other than saying the bike has went into some type of limp mode. I think I literally checked every plug and connection on the bike.

I think its safe to say that its not the fuel tank/system, nor the twist grip sensor seeing as I tried 2 more using the proper procedure. I tried unplugging the ECM and battery numerous times. I even tried a new ECM off the identical bike and it was the exact same (neither bikes have security). I know these bikes are getting more and more complicated but you can only check so much stuff.

I think this whole situation would be more straightforward if the bike wouldn't or struggled to start and run, but it runs fine...exactly as if it were working properly.

Any ideas or leads to a real HD cracker jack would be extremely helpful and I would be forever grateful!

Tks,
Matt

Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 AM
ajayrk
Road Master

I will refer you to a site. http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php Join, then type limp mode in the search box. Quite a discussion there.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:29 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When you say it won't rev, do you mean it DOES start up and run?

Do you have dash lights, etc, lighting up?

Now that you've fiddled with everything, it could be anything. No codes means the computer is not working because if the bike don't have a code why it isn't working right, and it doesn't work right ... then there's more wrong with it than a simple issue.

I'll be following this one so be sure to come back with some answers if you fix it...

Last edited by JohnnyC; 09-06-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Road Slide
3rd Gear

****2009 FLHX (TRU)
****On April 11, 2014 for the third time in 2 1/2 years the throttle quit. It quit in Arizona, at home and in Nevada.
****All 3 times the Harley service department thought they had it fixed. Harley calls it "Limp Mode”.
*******April 11th at Henderson Harley Davidson the tech thought he had it fixed by extending the throttle body wires
****which are to short to start with and can be one of the cause the "limp mode” problem.
*******I got back on the road for about 5 miles and it quit again. Limped back to the dealer. This time
****he changed the ECM and set it up for the stage 2 kit. *Larry, the tech took it for a ride again and it quit on him.
******He had experienced this the month before on a new bike, and as it turns out my bike had the same problem. The
****SYSTEM RELAY on the fuse block was loose and breaking contact which would put the throttle in to Limp Mode or
****just kill the engine. There are 4 relays in the fuse block to check if having this problem.
******What I did to get it to dealer which was over 100 mile away was unplug the wiring harness from the throttle body
****and plug it back in which would reset the system relay and I was up and running till the next time which would be
****anywhere from 10 to 30 miles before it happened again.
******After leaving Henderson Harley the second time and riding 187 miles home I’ve had "NO PROBLEMS”.

****Thank you Larry for finding the problem