Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Low oil pressure after SE tensioner upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 11:03 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Low oil pressure after SE tensioner upgrade

I have posted about this in the touring section and now am going to here because I pretty much am at a dead end with my local HD dealer.
I bought a beautiful 99 EG Standard this past June, I drove it about 8k miles this summer and love the bike, it came with a stage one and I put a stiffer spring in the bypass for better oil pressure, about 30 psi hot cruising. I took the bike in to upgrade the tensioners to the SE hyd style and better fuel pump, also had SE 204 cams put in, when I picked up the bike they told me my pressure gauge was bad, was fine when I took it in, on the way home my pressure was much lower, new gauge will be in later that week, went to pick up gauge, I changed the gauge, same low oil pressure, I take the bike back and drop it off, they have it a week trying to figure the problem out, they call me and tell me they think they have it, I pick it up, get halfway to work about 20 miles and hear top end noise, look down and gauge is almost zero, cut it off and take a look, start it and the oil light stays on for about 5 seconds, that never happened before, I limp it back to the dealer and am pretty pissed at this point.
Anybody have any idea? They put my old stuff back in and the pressure is fine, put the new stuff in and very little pressure, I know for 99 only a port in the back of the plate has to be plugged with part #94667-00, they told me they did this, I do not really know what to do at this point and hope no damage has happened to my engine.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:22 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

All my responses/ideas have been posted to your OP in the touring section; no need to repeat them here.

Boil it down to the basics; oil pressure is normal with the OEM cam plate/pump and you still have oil pressure with the SE cam plate and pump but the pressure is lower than with the OEM cam plate/pump.

Oil pressure should definitley be higher with the SE cam plate and pump so that would indicate that the problem is with the SE cam plate/pump. The dealer tech should be inspecting the SE pump, pressure relief valve and blowing out the passages in the SE cam plate to insure there are no blockages. Make sure the o-rings between the cam plate and the case are installed and are the proper o-rings.

Last edited by djl; 12-21-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:59 PM
fwb35
Road Warrior

I know, I just am so pissed I wanted to write it up again lol.

I am at the point of going over there with my trailer and getting my bike

Old 12-21-2012, 06:26 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a problem for sure. Did they tell you that the new cam plate uses the old silent chains?

I'm looking to buying some Andrews 21 series cams and converting over to the newer style camplate and pump. There are a few ways to do this.

1) Buy the screamng eagle hydraulic tensioner roller/ball bearing camplate/oil pump for 99-06 engines and run the old silent drive chains. About $600.00 in parts with the extra parts you have to buy. Still uses the silent chains that wear the pads faster than the roller chains, according to what I'm reading

2) Buy the stock 06 hydraulic plain bearing camplate and pump (which is an upgrade from the 99-06 pump) plus related parts and run roller chains with Andrews "N" series cams. About $540.00 for parts plus the cams

3) Buy the 07 and later screaming eagle bronze bushed camplate and pump plus related parts and run Andrews "N" cams. About $700.00 plus cams

I'm not sure the 99-06 SE camplate is that good a value if you're still running the silent chains. If you're buying new cams seems the Andrews setup with the stock 06 camplate might be the best and most economical way to go.

Last edited by skypilot_one; 12-21-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:44 PM
fwb35
Road Warrior

Now they want to put my old plate and pump back in and charge me for the cams, I really can't believe this place, it is Waugh HD in Orange, VA. They want to refund me the money from the plate and pump, I gave them $1,500 and now I get this.... unreal..