Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Truing twin cam cranks

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:09 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soft 02
Yea probably a trade secret. Theres a few engine builders in here that might be able to shed some light on the prosses but nothing on line. I really couldn't find much on line when I dug into mine. Just a few vids on youtube.
Yep still nothing on how they manipulate the flywheels on the crank pin to get it true.
Thanks
Jeff

Old 01-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

Originally Posted by 46u
Thought this was on the newer cranks 07 and up. I will not more when I split the cases on a 04 I am working on. Just for ***** and giggles I am going to see what my truing stand says. I have all ready checked the end of the pinion shaft where it goes into the cam plate and it is REAL good so if it shows way off then I will know.

How do the crank people say then can true them with out disassembling them? That is what Dark Horse says and they are the ONLY ones other them I in the future to do any of my or customers crank work.
Thanks
Jeff
I though all the TCs had the pressed assembly cranks. To me they are fine and Soft's lasted 100K before the pin bearings went. He ran it pretty hard too. Says a lot for the bad mouthing people give it. Works fine for me since the chain cams work fine with a little run out and a new replacement is 1/2 what Harley wants for the older style 3 pc unit that was trueable for gear driven cams. I personally would just make sure it was free in the case and the run out was within chain drive spec before tearing the motor down. You are not going to be able to move the crank journals if the are not true to the wheels and if the throw pin has moved (indexed) in the wheels it would be pretty much trash in my opinion since the welding pin boys want twice what a new complete crank cost and way overkill for stock. I am talking a stock engine and also the fact that it is no long important to me how fast I can get to the next red light.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:04 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I though all the TCs had the pressed assembly cranks. To me they are fine and Soft's lasted 100K before the pin bearings went. He ran it pretty hard too. Says a lot for the bad mouthing people give it. Works fine for me since the chain cams work fine with a little run out and a new replacement is 1/2 what Harley wants for the older style 3 pc unit that was trueable for gear driven cams. I personally would just make sure it was free in the case and the run out was within chain drive spec before tearing the motor down. You are not going to be able to move the crank journals if the are not true to the wheels and if the throw pin has moved (indexed) in the wheels it would be pretty much trash in my opinion since the welding pin boys want twice what a new complete crank cost and way overkill for stock. I am talking a stock engine and also the fact that it is no long important to me how fast I can get to the next red light.
Yes but I have seen many a Evo go 200k with out having a rod go and this is because of the way HD does it. Yes all twin cam cranks are pressed. Harley when they press them does not check the true and many times it is way off at the factor. All so they do not balance them as this is figured in to the cast BUT no two casting say just the same! Could this be why yours only last 100K instead of more? Yes I think so. You know why HD motors are rubber mounted of have the HP robbing counter balances? If HD did the cranks properly would not be as much of a need. This is why the later Evo softails vibrate so much but if the cranks where done properly they would run a LOT somother.

When you send a crank to be rebuilt or even a new one to be balanced, trued and welded it will last much longer then 100k! So if you have the crank done properly form the high dollar guys and if you have to take your bottom apart every 100K what are you saving NOTHING plus more down time. I just took a crank out of a 04 with less then 20K on it and run out on the shafts where .004 on one side and .006 on the other! Now you go to the ends of the shafts you will have something like .015.

You do not have to be a racer to twist a crank. I am not a racer I am a long distance rider just look at my signature. 5 more states not counting Hawaii and I will have them all on one bike not counting the 5 or so Canadian provinces I have. If you ever ride to Alaska and twist a crank good chance the wrecker bill will be more the fixing the twisted crank. Bottom line if you want the most reliable crank you can get you have to send it to the high dollar guys or in the long run you will spend more and more down time.

Do what you are comfortable with and I will do what I know is best. I will not guaranty a bottom end with out sending them to the high dollar guys on twin cams. All the cranks for Evo and earlier I can do here at my hose including balance, rebuild rods and so on. Maybe one day I will be able to do twin cams. Ha

I will stick with what I have learned in my 40 plus years of working on and riding Harley s none stop.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,019 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Call R&R before deciding on crank work; talk to R senior.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:56 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Now I have more questions thanks to you guys.

Last edited by soft 02; 01-13-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:57 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
Wait whos R&R. You mean RevPerf or Dark.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:15 PM
INDEPENDENT_1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Wait whos R&R. You mean RevPerf or Dark.
R&R http://www.rrcycles.com/cart/

Reggie Senior. He knows a thing or two about a thing or two.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:24 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks. Not my thread but going through the same thing.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:11 PM
46u
Road Warrior

I have been talking to Andrew at RP and asked him about how they manipulate the wheels on the crank pin to get it true. Basically he said he would not tell me like it is a trade secret. Just one of the reasons I will not use RP! When I ever work on any ones motorcycle or just the motor I do not have a problem telling them how I do things even if they want to go in to detail.

In my 40 plus years of working on them motor building and machine work 90% I figured out my self. I have a customer that has an old twin cam crank he is going to let me play with so I will try and figure it out my self and if I do I will be happy to share.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:38 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I look forward to your posting on this subject

Tom

Originally Posted by 46u
I have been talking to Andrew at RP and asked him about how they manipulate the wheels on the crank pin to get it true. Basically he said he would not tell me like it is a trade secret. Just one of the reasons I will not use RP! When I ever work on any ones motorcycle or just the motor I do not have a problem telling them how I do things even if they want to go in to detail.

In my 40 plus years of working on them motor building and machine work 90% I figured out my self. I have a customer that has an old twin cam crank he is going to let me play with so I will try and figure it out my self and if I do I will be happy to share.

Quick Reply: Truing twin cam cranks