Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Truing twin cam cranks

Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Truing twin cam cranks

When I true EVO on down cranks I use a 3 pound copper hammer to get them in true. Now at 180 from the crank pin I use a big C clamp or a plastic wedge. Is this the same way they do the twin cam pressed cranks or do you have to do it another way like in a press or something? I have not been able to find anything on the internet about this.
Thanks
Jeff

Old 01-11-2013, 09:30 PM
tubeman426
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you cant measure trueness of the new cranks the same way as the older cranks. If you go to revolution performance and watch their podcast on crank truing and welding they explain it very well.
Hope this helps

Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,510 Likes on 3,769 Posts

Harley puts them together by clamping on the flywheels and in one big squeeze presses them together. No way your are going to index them. There is a youtube out there somewhere on it being done. The reason you cannot check them is the centers on the crank journals are not true centers on the spline side. It's just a chamfer on a drilled hole done as a deburr operation. If you bored a hole in a plug for a .0001 clearance for the spline end and then turned a true spud on a lathe and slid this on to center drill your truing plug and put it on the spline end you could check the crank between centers.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-11-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:52 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Lotsa good video's and discusion here. Botom line in the long run 07+ cranks are junk...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...2007-fxst.html

Old 01-11-2013, 09:54 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

A lot of questions can be answered here. http://www.revperf.com/video/podcasts.html

Old 01-11-2013, 09:56 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tubeman426
I know you cant measure trueness of the new cranks the same way as the older cranks. If you go to revolution performance and watch their podcast on crank truing and welding they explain it very well.
Hope this helps
Been to their site and it does no answer my question. All it says is to check the true on the ends of the shafts instead of on the bearing surface near the flywheels. I always check this as well on earlier cranks.
Thanks
Jeff

Old 01-11-2013, 09:59 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Harley puts them together by clamping on the flywheels and in one big squeeze presses them together. No way your are going to index them. There is a youtube out there somewhere on it being done. The reason you cannot check them is the centers on the crank journals are not true centers on the spline side. It's just a chamfer on a drilled hole done as a deburr operation. If you bored a hole in a plug for a .0001 clearance for the spline end and then turned a true spud on a lathe and slid this on to center drill your truing plug and put it on the spline end you could check the crank between centers.
Thought this was on the newer cranks 07 and up. I will not more when I split the cases on a 04 I am working on. Just for ***** and giggles I am going to see what my truing stand says. I have all ready checked the end of the pinion shaft where it goes into the cam plate and it is REAL good so if it shows way off then I will know.

How do the crank people say then can true them with out disassembling them? That is what Dark Horse says and they are the ONLY ones other them I in the future to do any of my or customers crank work.
Thanks
Jeff

Last edited by 46u; 01-11-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:06 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by soft 02
Lotsa good video's and discusion here. Botom line in the long run 07+ cranks are junk...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...2007-fxst.html
Thanks will check it out. There is a lot more problems with 07 and up besides just the crank.
Thanks
Jeff

Old 01-11-2013, 10:20 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by soft 02
A lot of questions can be answered here. http://www.revperf.com/video/podcasts.html
Thanks that help some but have not looked at all the videos. They are using the centers and a Rowe truing stand just like I have. I do see the crank they are doing is 99-06. Now later on they check the true on the ends of the shaft being if you have a little out near the wheels the farther out you go on the shaft it is going to be out more. But it does not say what how they fix it when it is out of true.
Thanks
Jeff

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/id_lx4iRf6Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 01-11-2013, 10:22 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 46u
Thanks that help some but have not looked at all the videos. They are using the centers and a Rowe truing stand just like I have. I do see the crank they are doing is 99-06. Now later on they check the true on the ends of the shaft being if you have a little out near the wheels the farther out you go on the shaft it is going to be out more. But it does not say what how they fix it when it is out of true.
Thanks
Jeff

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/id_lx4iRf6Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Yea probably a trade secret. Theres a few engine builders in here that might be able to shed some light on the prosses but nothing on line. I really couldn't find much on line when I dug into mine. Just a few vids on youtube.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truing twin cam cranks