Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cam Upgrade? Andrews, Crane or Cycle Rama?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Cam Upgrade? Andrews, Crane or Cycle Rama?

I have a 2007 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic with the 96 CID six speed transmission (Stage1) and I'm looking to upgrade my torque in the 2000 - 4000 range. There are several different cams I'm looking at to achieve this goal. Has anyone had any experience with any of the following cams?

Crane HTC-300
Cycle Rama 575H
Andrews TW21
Andrews TW26

Not looking to upgrade to the 103 at this time. Just need to know if anyone can point me in the right direction in regard to the above Cams. I'm leaning towards the Cycle Rama 575H but I've also read great reviews on the Andrews and the Crane. . . decisions decisions. . lol Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Gannicus; 01-15-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Andrews 48's.
That cam was specifically designed, to do just what your looking for.
Once tuned they show just about 90 hp and 100 ft/lbs.
Got 'em on the shelf, with all else needed, for an easy install.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:37 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
I have a 2007 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic with the 96 CID six speed transmission (Stage1) and I'm looking to upgrade my torque in the 2000 - 4000 range. There are several different cams I'm looking at to achieve this goal. Has anyone had any experience with any of the following cams?

Crane HTC-300
Cycle Rama 575H
Andrews TW21
Andrews TW26

Not looking to upgrade to the 103 at this time. Just need to know if anyone can point me in the right direction in regard to the above Cams. I'm leaning towards the Cycle Rama 575H but I've also read great reviews on the Andrews and the Crane. . . decisions decisions. . lol Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Don't think you will like the cr 575 in a 96, It will likely be a bit soft in the bottom end.
Andews 48 like mentioned, T-man 555 torquester, , S&S 551 (personal favorite) You have the springs for more lift over the 21 or 26 so you might as well take advantage of it.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:43 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Like asking which beer is best in here!

Old 01-15-2013, 04:46 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain

Originally Posted by machinistmate
Everyone knows the answer to that FREE BEER!!!! Free cams are usually something like the SE 253's, lol

Old 01-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't mess around with the Andrews 21 or 26's in a 96" motor.

Scott's right, the Andrews 48 is a good cam that will come on in the rpm range you're looking for (sooner actually). A lot like a high lift Andrews 21 cam. The Cycle Rama CR575's are also a good cam set up at 9.8:1.

Another you might want to consider is the Woods TW222’s.

Originally Posted by machinistmate
Aint that a fact.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Weevil; 01-15-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BVBOB
Everyone knows the answer to that FREE BEER!!!! Free cams are usually something like the SE 253's, lol
lol, I'm going with BVBOB!! Free is the correct answer Sir!! Sounds like I need to give Scott @ Hillsidecycle a call ASAP!

BVBOB - What's the difference between the 48's and the S&S 551's you like so much?

Thanks for all your Input Guys. . .Much appreciated!!

Old 01-15-2013, 09:42 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Gannicus
lol, I'm going with BVBOB!! Free is the correct answer Sir!! Sounds like I need to give Scott @ Hillsidecycle a call ASAP!

BVBOB - What's the difference between the 48's and the S&S 551's you like so much?

Thanks for all your Input Guys. . .Much appreciated!!
I don't have a sheet for a bolt in only 48, I do have one from a 107 with some headwork, did very well and has the nastiest idle which I did not expect.
The sheet below is from a 551 setup that I first did a baseline on when it was a stage 1 and then with the addition of the cams and tune, I have yet to see one below 100 torque and I now keep them in stock for 96 inch cam only swaps. My best guess would be that the 48 may come on a tad bit later but hold a broader curve.

Attached Thumbnails Cam Upgrade? Andrews, Crane or Cycle Rama?-ss551dyno-1.jpg  
Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 PM
djaudette
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Andrews 48's.
That cam was specifically designed, to do just what your looking for.
Once tuned they show just about 90 hp and 100 ft/lbs.
Got 'em on the shelf, with all else needed, for an easy install.
Scott
I'm very interested in the 48's for my 08 Ultra with stage one as well. What am I looking at price wise for the cams, adjustable push rods and full set up?

Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BVBOB
I don't have a sheet for a bolt in only 48, I do have one from a 107 with some headwork, did very well and has the nastiest idle which I did not expect.
The sheet below is from a 551 setup that I first did a baseline on when it was a stage 1 and then with the addition of the cams and tune, I have yet to see one below 100 torque and I now keep them in stock for 96 inch cam only swaps. My best guess would be that the 48 may come on a tad bit later but hold a broader curve.

Now I must say. . . Those numbers are impressive for a stock build. I've looked at at least 50 of those dyno sheets on this forum with several different cams including the 48's and yours ranks top 3. Any gas mileage issues or unnessary noise I should be concerned about? Me and the ole' lady do a lot of touring and my bike tachs 2500 to 3100 RPM's the majority of the time on the interstate. This is the range I need my bike to perform best. In your opinion which of these two cams am I best suited for given my ole lady has packed on a few lbs over the years. . .LMAO They both appear to be equally impressive from what I have read. your thoughts? By the way the other two impressive dyno numbers were the Woods TW222 and the 48's

Thanks for all your help BVBOB!

Quick Reply: Cam Upgrade? Andrews, Crane or Cycle Rama?