Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Help Please.....Check engine light coming on during hard acceleration

Old 01-17-2013, 05:04 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts
Default Help Please.....Check engine light coming on during hard acceleration

2006 Dyna 88inch Rush 2-1 Stage one air cleaner and fuelpak

During hard acceleration my check engine light comes on and then goes off about a minute later. It mostly happens in 3-6 gear. I assume that this is maybe a direct result of the fuelpak. I have been running the fuelpak for about a year and a half. It just recently started doing this like in a day or so ago. I have changed nothing recently on the bike. The bike has been running well. About a two months ago I put a new exhaust and changed the map via vance and hines tech support with a supplied map. Any idea?

Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitJason
2006 Dyna 88inch Rush 2-1 Stage one air cleaner and fuelpak

During hard acceleration my check engine light comes on and then goes off about a minute later. It mostly happens in 3-6 gear. I assume that this is maybe a direct result of the fuelpak. I have been running the fuelpak for about a year and a half. It just recently started doing this like in a day or so ago. I have changed nothing recently on the bike. The bike has been running well. About a two months ago I put a new exhaust and changed the map via vance and hines tech support with a supplied map. Any idea?
The 06 dyna is the first year of the 02 sensor feedback and it's operation is specific to only that year and that model, is is possible the fuelpak is not comatible with the ecm operating system? What you need to do is check for historic cel codes.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

the fuelpak is for the specified model. My thinking was that the check engine light comes on for rich mixture operation (i.e. the fuelpak is working and adding extra fuel to the stock ecm map) and that is causing the cel. I called fuelpak and they said that they have never had this happen. I am going to try and unplug the battery then reset the throttle calibration on the fuelpak. We'll see if that helps. The oieds used to set the check engine light off all the time but I have taken them off when I got the new 2-1

Old 01-18-2013, 11:06 AM
navyman
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this issue. It turned out that one of the spark plug wires was not pushed on all the way.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:52 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Disonnect the FuelPak and run the OEM map; see what happens.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Skip
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you run the code number? Like navyman, I had this happen once and it was a loose terminal on one of the plugs. Happened like yours, when I accelerated.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:45 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by navyman
I had this issue. It turned out that one of the spark plug wires was not pushed on all the way.
That's a good idea I will check that in the morning. I did reset the battery then recalibrated the throttle settings. I have no idea how to check the cel data. (Anybody that can tell me how to do that I would be appreciative).

More to follow. Thanks

Old 01-19-2013, 10:26 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

Well I washed the bike today agent checking the connections on the fuelpak and my rear spark plug wire was almost off. Whooopes