Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Twin Cam 88 cam tensioner replacement . oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 05:08 PM
harleyrider62
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Cam 88 cam tensioner replacement . oil pump?

Looking for input. Took my 02 Softail in for another minor issue, but had them check cam tensioners since has about 50k on her. As I figured they need replacing, but they want to replace oil pump took just in case it got scored. I have not had any issues at all for those 50k miles other than fuel pump issues most injected models seem to have. Should I spend the triple the cost price, or just do tensioners and do a wait and see on pump? Thanks for reading.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:08 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Sounds like they are talking about the SE Hydraulic tensioner and oil pump setup given the price would be triple. I would leave the old pump setup in after inspecting to see if the pump is scored since its an 02 with only 50k. In other words, I'd just replace the tensioners. The second set of tensioners should last longer then 50k miles because your chains are smoother now. Make sure they put the chains back on in the same direction they took them off.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:27 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,780 Posts

The oil pump is easily disassembled and can be visual inspected and measure with a micrometer or dial vernier caliper with depth plunger. Problem is most Harley mechanics are more replace it since it will take them a while by the time they tear it down and then if it is bad they will end up charging you an extra hour for inspection since it's not fair to expect them to eat that. They is a plus for a do-it-your-selfer who has the manual and measuring tools like me and I would inspect it. Since your are paying and at that many miles I would replace it. However do not let them sell you the SE upgrade pump with hydraulic tensioners since it does not replace the inner chain with a roller chain unless you completely replace the cams. The roller chain is what stopped the wear, not Harley's smoking mirror hydraulic tensioners. They just did the hydraulic to keep from recalling all the TC with the link chain. You really do not say tensioner were worn out but at 50 K yours and mine are due it if you make trips of any great length for insurance. Since I know longer travel I just pop the cover and look at mine. Did it at 30K and will do it again at 50.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-29-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 PM
harleyrider62
Stage II

They are talking about cam bearing repair kit along with pump.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,780 Posts

Would not think that far in there it would be that much more for the two cam bearings.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,491 Posts

If the tensioners are just worn and have not disentegrated and you had good oil pressure, replace the tensioners as has been suggested but replace them with the CYCO tensioner; different material and will stand up to the heavy constant spring pressure and the heat.

The tech has the cam plate off; it would take all of thirty minutes to dissassemble the pump, inspect the gerotors and pump cavity. I suspect it's still within service limits. I would replace the wave washer, put it back together with the Baisley LMR-002 releif valve spring and forget about it.

I would also upgrade the inner cam bearings to Torrington B148s.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:48 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to fix it and forget about it get the SE up date kit where it uses 07 and up hydraulic adjusters and the better late model pump. I put one in mine about 15K ago. Mine is a 02 Ultra I bought new and now has all most 92K on it. I would have more but do to my heath I had to cut back some.

With what now HD charges for the replacement parts to do yours properly you will not have a lot more in the SE update kit and you will be better off.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:29 AM
chainreactioncycle
Stage IV

I agree on the new-style camplate and oil pump upgrade, the new unit will pump and scavenge far more oil through the engine than the old...
Also, the new hydraulic tensioners are far superior and last at least twice as long as the old spring-loaded style.
Good Luck!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:40 AM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The nice thing about the newer oil pumps is the scavenge more then increase gets the oil out of your motor faster and you have less oil drag which is lost HP. This is the reason on TC they no longer dump the oil from the top end into the crank area like all the older HD did.

Check this out.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

If you buy from Lake Shore HD you can save around a $100 on it.