Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

For those with "ticking" motors...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:25 AM
jl207299
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default For those with "ticking" motors...

I should probably start with defining "ticking" as describing something audible through text is going to have a margin of error. When I refer to "ticking" I mean a tick you get which is RPM specific, generally between 2300-2600 RPM. Most every thread I have read on this kind of tick has been described as "top end noise" and most seem to think it comes from the front head as opposed to the rear.

I finally noticed it after installing Wood cams. Some say, Wood cams are noisey and almost all the threads I researched blamed incorrect preload and lifters.

This may all be the case with some folks but it wasn't with me.
Now, don't get me wrong, I wasn't worried with a small RPM specific noise, but I was curious and wanted to figure it out.

I tried everything, experimented with various preloads on both stock Harley and Wood lifters, switched between SE to Crush type exhaust gaskets in the event I had a small leak, and of course checked for vibrating pieces everywhere. The sound and drivability was the same under all conditions no matter what kinds of parts I added or subtracted from the setup.
Last night I pulled my pushrods AGAIN and inspected the pushrods and the inside of the pushrod tubes.
There was what appeared to be a very small amount of contact between my Smith Bros/FM pushrods and the factory pushrod tubes.
My thoughts are that at a certain RPM or RPM range there is just enough flex and/or combination of everything to create that tick that I have found and read about in so many threads here but nobody ever seems to find a good explanation other than "engine harmonics". I am also fairly certain that the majority of the "tick" I hear is likely from the rocker arm to pushrod contact, particularly on the front cylinder's exhaust valve...
That's my explanation for my "tick" should anyone ever do search after search as I did looking for other testimonials to explain their own.

EDIT: I have since read elsewhere that some have bored out their pushrod tubes to allow 5/8" and done various other experiments such as cutting half an inch off the lower pushrod tube section in an effort to create more clearance. Knowing where the sound actually comes from instead of just saying "its engine harmonics" is all the satisfaction I needed.

Last edited by jl207299; 03-29-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:52 AM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

so you are saying that at a certain rpm and harmonics in the motor, you feel the push rod is actually touching or hitting the tube's., thus transfering the sound to the top. Did I read that correctly?

Old 03-28-2013, 07:59 AM
jl207299
Cruiser

That is the only thing I can come up with after looking at all the possibilities and from what I've read on other forums some others have found the same.... a poster on another forum was even so specific as to indicate 2350 RPM's was where he heard his tick and his tick was also determined to be coming from contact between push rods and push rod tubes. 2350 RPMs is almost exclusively where I heard my tick as well.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:03 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Most of the ticking noise I hear is both high pitched metal to metal tap and a duller metallic clicking sound. Both are in-sync with RPMs and the range you mention seems to be the loudest.

Some of the consideration is that the angle the push rod strikes the rocker causes this. If you know you have good lifters and have adjusted the push rods correctly then what you are hearing may not be able to be adjusted out.

I added Lucas oil additive and right away the high pitch ticking disappeared. There's still the duller clicking sound but even that is much less.

Just a few observations for you to consider.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:12 AM
jl207299
Cruiser

Good observations for sure. I read some others used Lucas Oil additive and it helped with their tics as well. I may experiment with the Lucas oil additive in the future however I'm not really concerned with the small amount of noise I get for my motor. Curiosity just gets the best of me sometimes and I was determined to find out where it was coming from

Last edited by jl207299; 03-28-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:15 AM
f4dennis
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to hear it around 3000 RPM under moderate to hard acceleration. I was going to recheck the pre-load and just make sure the lock nuts were still good to go.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:23 AM
f4dennis
Advanced

can you please tell me which oil additive was used by others?

Old 03-28-2013, 09:52 AM
jl207299
Cruiser

If you're asking which oil additive was used by others, I had read in the last couple months of researching these little sounds that other posters on this and other forums had suggested Lucas oil additive.
I might try it someday just as an experiment but I'm not going to rush out and do it thinking its going to "fix" anything.
The motor runs great, it has since I first fired it up after my cam swap...I've only been looking for the cause of the tick I always hear at 2350 RPM.
To put things in perspective, I firmly believe my motor runs better now than it ever has. Regarding valvetrain noise, I think it makes less now than when I brought it home and in the first few thousand miles I put on the bike. I've just been searching for the cause, and solution if there is/was one, for the only noise I can identify after the cam swap that wasn't related to the different sound the throttle body makes after adding a nice set of cams which many people seem to confuse as "knocking".

I am at .1352 preload with 4 turns and 2 flats (again, Smith Bros/FM pushrods) and later in the week when I get some time I'm going to readjust to 4 turns and 4 flats which should put me at .146 preload on the lifter; right in the middle of some builders suggest, in the range of .140-.150, which is a little more than a hundreth more pre-load than what Wood lifters instructions suggest. I don't expect it will make a difference, but if it does, I'll be sure to report.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 AM
f4dennis
Advanced

Originally Posted by jl207299
If you're asking which oil additive was used by others, I had read in the last couple months of researching these little sounds that other posters on this and other forums had suggested Lucas oil additive.
I might try it someday just as an experiment but I'm not going to rush out and do it thinking its going to "fix" anything.
The motor runs great, it has since I first fired it up after my cam swap...I've only been looking for the cause of the tick I always hear at 2350 RPM.
To put things in perspective, I firmly believe my motor runs better now than it ever has. Regarding valvetrain noise, I think it makes less now than when I brought it home and in the first few thousand miles I put on the bike. I've just been searching for the cause, and solution if there is/was one, for the only noise I can identify after the cam swap that wasn't related to the different sound the throttle body makes after adding a nice set of cams which many people seem to confuse as "knocking".

I am at .1352 preload with 4 turns and 2 flats (again, Smith Bros/FM pushrods) and later in the week when I get some time I'm going to readjust to 4 turns and 4 flats which should put me at .146 preload on the lifter; right in the middle of some builders suggest, in the range of .140-.150, which is a little more than a hundreth more pre-load than what Wood lifters instructions suggest. I don't expect it will make a difference, but if it does, I'll be sure to report.
Yeah, mine runs like a champ too. Just had it on the dyno and pulling 100hp 110ftlbs.
Started off the cam swap with stock push rods and lifters and hated the constant noise at any RPM. Replaced with the woods lifters and FM PR's and it got super quiet at idle. Still noticed noise but it wasnt as bad as before, a slight ticking. Of course i wanted to change out my headers so i replaced my true duals with the jackpot 2-1-2 and started to hear it even more. So my problem could also be exhaust leak.
Please keep me up to date when you adjust the preload

Old 03-28-2013, 11:19 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have any connection to this company. My indy suggested I give it a try and I was very pleased. I have an ear for engine noise, especially the odd ones that stand out. I have used it for a couple of years, ever since getting my old EVO, and it helps a lot.

I was hoping the new EV27 cam and new lifters would stop the ticking. I still added Lucas after several hundred miles of the same sound before using Lucas and right after the cam job. It lessened the noise considerably. I think there's not enough oil in the rocker box to quiet them. I believe the Lucas coats the contact point of the rod against the rocker which keeps them a lot quieter.

Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer

Testimonials

Quick Reply: For those with "ticking" motors...