Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Got the nerve to take it apart and do the big bore

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:15 PM
micalaut
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Got the nerve to take it apart and do the big bore

I have an 06 Ultra with Rineharts, SE air cleaner, and a tuner and have the 95"big bore kit with HD flat top pistons less jugs sitting in my garage. Today I got the nerve to take it apart. Four and half hours later I have the cams out, the heads and jugs off, and ready to do inner cam bearings. I bought new tensioners from HD and all gaskets ,o-rings etc. I am leaning towards an Andrews 26, a multi angle valve job, .030 head gasket, and maybe some mild head porting if it fits in the budget. Looking for somewhere to send cylinders to be bored and headwork done. Everything in the motor looked clean and spotless except for some carbon on top of pistons. Bike has 21,000 miles. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. I don't want to push the envelope and build a motor that needs a perfect tune to run or worry about squeezing the last point of compression, rather just have a reliable, smooth running motor with a little more power than I had. I am also not in favor of adjustable pushrods.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:26 AM
JimmieJack
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking about the samething (only different) - that is I have a 96 and was thinking of taking in up to a 103. Originally I was think of bying a Kit but then fiqured I should probably just have my jugs bored. I was looking at Bigboyz Head Porting and see that they perform all the necessary machine work. I see that Hillside is also on here aswering a lot of questions so I may visit their site too. I.m in no hurry probably won't even get half way serious until after the summer but would be interested in your results ,,, especially the fact that you are doing the work yourself.

Good Luck

Jimmie

Old 03-31-2013, 12:31 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Check your crank run out while its apart. Im in the middle of a bottom end job myself.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:08 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by micalaut
I have an 06 Ultra with Rineharts, SE air cleaner, and a tuner and have the 95"big bore kit with HD flat top pistons less jugs sitting in my garage. Today I got the nerve to take it apart. Four and half hours later I have the cams out, the heads and jugs off, and ready to do inner cam bearings. I bought new tensioners from HD and all gaskets ,o-rings etc. I am leaning towards an Andrews 26, a multi angle valve job, .030 head gasket, and maybe some mild head porting if it fits in the budget. Looking for somewhere to send cylinders to be bored and headwork done. Everything in the motor looked clean and spotless except for some carbon on top of pistons. Bike has 21,000 miles. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. I don't want to push the envelope and build a motor that needs a perfect tune to run or worry about squeezing the last point of compression, rather just have a reliable, smooth running motor with a little more power than I had. I am also not in favor of adjustable pushrods.
Scott at hillside can handle your machine work in a timely fashion, as for cams, I would lean towards the 21/26, or s&s 510, or maybe even the 204 with a bump in compression, good luck on your build. Ps just purchased the Gary beatty inner bearing tools, and couldn't be happier with the price and quality. Chad

Old 03-31-2013, 05:49 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

The cylinders bored to 98" would be a good way to go as well.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record