Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Stacking Baffles in VH Big Radius

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 09:55 PM
woosh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stacking Baffles in VH Big Radius

I read somewhere someone took the Big Radius stock baffles out and welded a set of Thunder Monster Baffles to the stockbaffles and pushed the entire unit up intothe pipes. Has anyone else ever done something like this before?Is it possible to create to much back pressure with two setsof baffles in each pipe?

Old 02-19-2007, 06:07 PM
kimber fan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stacking Baffles in VH Big Radius

I did it and I love it I never dyno'd the dfference but I like the sound and it felt better on the bottom to mid so I kept it. What I did was start off with just placing them in there in front of the stock bafflesand running it. I liked it so I welded em up. For 80.00 its worth checking out and if you don't like you can always sell them, it doesn't hurt em a bit.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:17 PM
woosh
Outstanding HDF Member

why did you think of stacking them? Where your pipes to loud, or looking more for performance reasons? What I read, the guy did it to try and quiet his bike down and apparently it worked.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Jstar
Novice

So If I understand correctly, you never took the stock baffles out of the Big Radius ppes, you just put the Thunder Monster bafflesin with the stock Big Radius baffles, is this right?

I don't want to quite my bike down I just want to get a throatier deeper tone than what the Big Radius pipessound like with thier baffles. I like a loud bike.

Thanks,
JJ

Old 02-20-2007, 12:19 AM
woosh
Outstanding HDF Member

I have not even installed my Big Radius pipes yet. I was just wondering why people have tried to put two baffles together in a pipe. I want to know if they are looking for a deeper sound or a quieter sound by installing two sets of bafflles. From what I have read, the Big Radius pipes where to loud until he installed the Thunder Monster baffles infront of the stock baffles. After that he was more than satisfied.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:55 AM
kimber fan
Advanced

It was not the loud that was the issue,I just did not like the pitch of the stock BR set-up. So I ordered the Thunder Monster Baffles, removed the stock baffles and installed the new TM baffles. The sound was okay but I was not overly satisfied with the performance and sound combo so I came up with the idea that more baffle = more low to mid and torque and since its a dual set up with no cross over or other helper to scavage (sp) I decided to try the stacking. I liked it so I went with it. It was a freebee since I already had both set-ups. I just removed the stock baffles and place the TMs in front and took er for a ride. I liked it so I kept them in there for a while and eventually wleded them up.

Its still loud, I was riding with some folks on Saturday including guys withV&H Longshots, Shotshots and other modified exhaust and my BRs are definately the loudest but its deep and still has lot of low end.

FYI the bike is a 2005 Deluxe, 95inch, SERT, S&S510g, stock heads, flat top pistons, S/E AC and the pipes. No Dyno tune. I used a SERT map for I think a 256 cam and it almost never pops, except when I start it (on ocassion, it sounds like a shotgun going off).

[IMG]local://upfiles/8507/07E89A10DA904CC7BBE2A3F47108E0CA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Jstar
Novice

Kimber Fan,

How did you remove the Baffles out of the Big Radius pipes with out messing them up? I want to remove the baffles out of my Big Radius pipes and put in Thunder Monsters to see what they sound like and if I don't like the Thunder Monsters I'm hoping I can put the BR baffles back in.

I want to keep my pipes loud as i personally don't think the Big Radius pipes are that loud. I just don't like the high pitch of the BR baffles.

JJ

Old 02-20-2007, 11:32 AM
kimber fan
Advanced

They are held in by one bolt on each pipe. I used a large pair of needle nose pliers, a rubber mallet and pounded them out. I grabbed one of "fins" inside and used some patience. The pounding was on the pliers, not the pipes. I think if you used some heat on the outside while the inside is cold they should slide out a little easier. Dont forget to take the shields off first I think V&H sells the baffles if all else fails, better than having pipes you dont like.

A lot of people like the BR with the TM's. Give that a shot. This was one of those ideas that I tried and Iended up liking it. Theres no down side and it runs a hell of a lot better than my touring bike.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Jstar
Novice

Kimber Fan,

When you tried just the Thunder Monster baffles with the Big Radiuswas it a deeper tone than the stock baffles in the BR? Were the Thunder Monsters baffleslouder than the BR baffles?

Thanks,
JJ