Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

What Bearings for 25284-11/TW21 install

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 05:47 PM
NamVet69
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Bearings for 25284-11/TW21 install

I am upgrading to the Screamin' EagleŽ Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump Upgrade Kit p/n 25284-11.

I also am going to replace the stock cams with Andrews TW21cams.

I see that the A
ndrews TW21 cam kit includes 1 roller bearing and 1 ball bearing.

Andrews tells me that that theirTW series cams come with the support plate ball bearing for the front cam.

Does this mean that the rear outer roller bearing is not included?

I am looking for the p/n for the outer rear roller bearing.

Bottom line, can someone tell me what bearings are needed for the 25284-11/TW21 install?

I realize that I need to pull the inner INA bearings and replace them with Torrington B148's

Old 04-30-2013, 05:51 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

It will come with the bearings you need. Mine did.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:45 AM
NamVet69
Novice

Good to hear that!
Did you have to do a remap after your cam change?
I am taking advantage of having gone in there to check out the spring loaded tensioner pads and so I thought why not upgrade to better cams and tensioners.
I want to go with better breathing and exhaust but $ may prevent me from doing so if I have to spend $460 to the stealership for an "SE EFI SuperTuner"
after the cam install.
It's been a number of years since I have did any "wrenching" and so I am treading in dark waters with this remapping and power commander stuff, I mean that ThunderMax looks nice but $600 takes abite out of the budget.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:49 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Why not look at a Power Vision from Fuel Moto. Super easy to work with and a swell bunch of cats at fuel moto..

Old 05-01-2013, 12:53 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Actually, with the 21 cams, you can get a decent tune with the Dobeck TFI; the Gen3 unit would work well and won't break the bank. The unit works on the same principle as jetting a carb by letting the user add fuel at different throttle positions. No dyno time required, DIY install, great customer service and for your motor cofiguration, me thinks sufficient. You don't need to spend $1000 on a fuel management system and dyno time to get a decent tune on your motor. Google Dobeck TFI, give them a call and chat them up. JMHO.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

I don't have a comment on the do beck unit because I have never used one but my thoughts are I want the efi unit that a **** ton of people use for more map availability. That being said and the fact that cams would probably be a negating factor for the fuelpak a powercommander is probably your best bet for price and map availability Do a google search for a map for the pc for your bike with cams and I bet you will find one. Or better yet call fuel motto and see what the have a map for and which system.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:43 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by misfitJason
I don't have a comment on the do beck unit because I have never used one but my thoughts are I want the efi unit that a **** ton of people use for more map availability. That being said and the fact that cams would probably be a negating factor for the fuelpak a powercommander is probably your best bet for price and map availability Do a google search for a map for the pc for your bike with cams and I bet you will find one. Or better yet call fuel motto and see what the have a map for and which system.
FYI, consider this. If the OPs bike ran a carb, he would rejet. Same thing with EFI and Dobeck TFI. The motor is a Stage 1 with mouse cams, stock heads and stock compression; no timing adjustment required, all he needs is more fuel at various throttle positions. The unit is a simple DIY install and the OP seems to be looking for a more economical way to get good results from the upgrade; ideal situation for a Dobeck unit.

BTW, if EFI, don't waste time with maps. Sounds great but no two identical builds will respond the same way to the same map; spend the money for a fuel management system and not for a dyno tune is a waste of money. JMHO

Old 05-04-2013, 06:08 AM
NamVet69
Novice
Default Outer cam bearings

That is some good talk about fuel management, I have been talking with Fuel Moto about their "stuff" it sounds good, but with that said when I asked their Tech if they had data in their archives regarding the Andrews TW21 cams, he said that they deal with the Woods and that the lowest lift he could see was .510 and the TW21 is .498. So, he said they could get it close but not spot on and that I would have to get it tuned anyway.
Ok, enough said about the tuner for now.
I am still trying to understand what cam bearings are to be used in that new HD support plate that I'm waiting to be delivered. The TW21's came yesterday and there was 1 Nachi 6004 C3 ball bearing in the kit.
I am assuming that is to be used in the outer end because the inners are the B148's.
But why just 1 bearing?
Andrews was no help, I was just told that the MoCo is cracking down hard.
Oh, I should have gone to Cancun when my wife asked and forgot about opening up that cam chest

Old 05-04-2013, 08:53 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitJason
I don't have a comment on the do beck unit because I have never used one but my thoughts are I want the efi unit that a **** ton of people use for more map availability. That being said and the fact that cams would probably be a negating factor for the fuelpak a power commander is probably your best bet for price and map availability Do a google search for a map for the pc for your bike with cams and I bet you will find one. Or better yet call fuel motto and see what the have a map for and which system.
Check out the Andrews conversion kit which I believe includes the upgraded inner chain, unlike the HD SE kit. Then use the Andrews 21N cam.

Regarding the Dobeck DFO. I have been running one for a couple years with a 88", tw21's and 2n1 exhaust. The bike has been running very well. Good mpg, 42 mpg's, and more pickup then without the DFO. Just three weeks ago I decided to buy a Power Commander V. I have tried "canned maps" and even a map from a similar build a member shared. I have also been tweeking maps with Fuel Moto. The bike does not run any better and in fact it was a pita configuring, downloading maps requiring a laptop, plugging, unplugging... as compared to the Dobeck which you can pull over on the side of the road at anytime and make adjustments with just a small screwdriver.

Despite the PC V experience, I am leaving it on the bike and selling the Dobeck DFO. $90 shipped if interested. The DFO fits 06 touring and Softails only. I am selling it not because the Power Commander works better - as it does not in my experience. I am selling it because I do not want to remove and add stuff anymore... I just want to ride and forget about tweeking sheit.

Also, search Power Commanders and you will see a lot of people complain about terrible mpg which tells you it is not setup right, running too rich.

Last edited by KumaRide; 05-04-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:27 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by NamVet69
That is some good talk about fuel management, I have been talking with Fuel Moto about their "stuff" it sounds good, but with that said when I asked their Tech if they had data in their archives regarding the Andrews TW21 cams, he said that they deal with the Woods and that the lowest lift he could see was .510 and the TW21 is .498. So, he said they could get it close but not spot on and that I would have to get it tuned anyway. Ok, enough said about the tuner for now.
I am still trying to understand what cam bearings are to be used in that new HD support plate that I'm waiting to be delivered. The TW21's came yesterday and there was 1 Nachi 6004 C3 ball bearing in the kit. I am assuming that is to be used in the outer end because the inners are the B148's. But why just 1 bearing? Andrews was no help, I was just told that the MoCo is cracking down hard.

early TCs
Inners -- Stock: INA 148, Change to/Replace with: Torrington B148
Outer (Chains)
Front -- NACHI 6004-C3 (OEM # 8990A)
Rear -- HD P/N 8983 BEARING ASSEMBLY
Outer (Gears)
Front -- NACHI 6004-C3 (OEM # 8990A)
Rear -- NACHI 6004-C3 (OEM # 8990A)

Pretty sure the Andrews kit does not include the upgraded inner chain as that would mean their N seiries cams could only be run with thier kit and not with the HD kit; link chain will not run on sprockets designed for the roller and visa versa.

Last edited by djl; 05-04-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Quick Reply: What Bearings for 25284-11/TW21 install