Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

R&R 131 mileage Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 05:57 AM
chriscalabro
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Default R&R 131 mileage Update

Having run through 96-103-117-124 engines on my 07 FLTR it seemed inevitable I would finally get what I wanted from the start. Went with a R&R131 this past winter and wanted to provide an update with now 4000 miles on the clock.

Given all the options available today it would seem you would need a reason to go R&R over a JIM's etc. If for no other reason I would invest just for the absolutely massive billet engine cases. Not a day goes by that I dont smile when I look at the quality of the housings. External oil lines have resulted in oil temps BELOW that I was seeing with any of the other builds. I consistently run 190 where I had lived @ 220 in the past. The extra heavy cases also makes for an amazing quiet engine in terms of internal noise. I went with powder black vs the standard silver or chrome. I love the look and saves me from having the polish the engine to make it look good. It is low maintanance in black. BUT Black also means the surface is hot when sitting in the sun and contributes to parade mode quicker than normal @ extended idle.

Matched up with a Bassani road rage the combo make a deep growl that has make you want to get on the throttle.

Key observations:

I marvel at the sheer mass and integrity of the build
It gets better gas milage than my 124. Likely due to its running in the mid 2000's. I have iot mated to a Baker 7 speed and it has tons of torque allowing you to run 2500 rpm all day long encountering any road challenge.
Black will attract heat, no effect on comfort but quicker to go into parade mode when at idle as the head temps will rise retaining the external heat
External oil lines significantly reduced internal oil temps
Low end torque with a road rage is beyond belief

Pro clutch will slip. Due primarily to my decision to use oil vs. ATF. I change out the SE comp annually but they do last longer with oil. at the expense of clutch slip

Went with Michelin tires from Metzeler. If you told me I would be able to feel the difference I would have not believed it. But it is a noticeable improvement and I loved Metzelers. I am a Michelin man now

JRI remote shocks are game changing. Combined with the Michelins and Progressive cartridges in the front you will be riding a 1000 lbs sports bike. Ran the Kangamangus highway like I was on a rice burner.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:04 AM
BigDave75
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have any pics of that beast???

Old 06-14-2013, 09:05 AM
n2ofaster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to see all worked out in your favor. there is nothing equal to riding a good performing big motor. You will be envied by many. dsv

Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I looked into an R&R 131" - it's a case of one day, if and when my boat comes in! Great to hear your happy with yours, but photos and a dyno chart would help us all envy you even more!