Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

tw222 vs tw555

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 02:01 PM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tw222 vs tw555

i'm really battling back and forth between the two cams and looking for a little guidance. i keep looking at the dyno sheets between the two, and i have been comparing each based on where they go over 100 tq. it looks like the 222 hits around 2500 rpm, then dips below at around 5000 rpm. the 555 on the other hand seems to be closer to 3000 rpm before it really hits and back down around 5000 rpm just like the 222. i plan to do either some head work or a big bore kit some time in the future, so i have been told the 555 would be a better choice. my only thing with that is i like how quick the 222 hits in the rpm range vs the 555. it's quicker to go over 100 and stays just as long as the 555. i keep feeling like the 222 would better suit my riding style, yet everyone seems to say 555. i have a stage 1 103 right now, and like i said i feel like i will most likely do more work, but i want to do cams now instead of wait. who knows, i may end up happy with just the cam work and be satisfied there. anyway, i guess my main question would be if i went with the 222 and then did headwork or big bore kit in a year or so, would i be disappointed with the gain since it's supposed to be a cam for lower compression? i guess im just not sure how higher compression wouldn't enhance the 222 as well. any insight on this fellas?

thanks.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:37 PM
AmishindianHD
Cruiser

I know all these answers

Old 08-25-2013, 02:45 PM
AmishindianHD
Cruiser

I've spoken at length with Brian/Jamie at fuel moto. And no matter what they do engine wise, the 222 will never break 100 hp, even with headwork. Plus if you do heads and bump the comp on the 555, the low end will come on over 100 tq at or before 2700 rpm, fact! plus the tq will carry out farther with headwork due to cam specs, and hp well over 100 and huge broad power. On a streetbob this choice is a no brainer! Come on deuce, you're killing me! It's me, back for more.

Last edited by AmishindianHD; 08-25-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:26 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by AmishindianHD
I've spoken at length with Brian/Jamie at fuel moto. And no matter what they do engine wise, the 222 will never break 100 hp, even with headwork. Plus if you do heads and bump the comp on the 555, the low end will come on over 100 tq at or before 2700 rpm, fact! plus the tq will carry out farther with headwork due to cam specs, and hp well over 100 and huge broad power. On a streetbob this choice is a no brainer! Come on deuce, you're killing me! It's me, back for more.

222s are for bagger type riding

Old 08-26-2013, 05:52 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by deuce_streetbob
i'm really battling back and forth between the two cams and looking for a little guidance. i keep looking at the dyno sheets between the two, and i have been comparing each based on where they go over 100 tq. it looks like the 222 hits around 2500 rpm, then dips below at around 5000 rpm. the 555 on the other hand seems to be closer to 3000 rpm before it really hits and back down around 5000 rpm just like the 222. i plan to do either some head work or a big bore kit some time in the future, so i have been told the 555 would be a better choice. my only thing with that is i like how quick the 222 hits in the rpm range vs the 555. it's quicker to go over 100 and stays just as long as the 555. i keep feeling like the 222 would better suit my riding style, yet everyone seems to say 555. i have a stage 1 103 right now, and like i said i feel like i will most likely do more work, but i want to do cams now instead of wait. who knows, i may end up happy with just the cam work and be satisfied there. anyway, i guess my main question would be if i went with the 222 and then did headwork or big bore kit in a year or so, would i be disappointed with the gain since it's supposed to be a cam for lower compression? i guess im just not sure how higher compression wouldn't enhance the 222 as well. any insight on this fellas?

thanks.
The 222 is a plug/play on the 103"er, while the 555 wants just about 10.3 cr, which ie easily established via re-surfacing/cc'ing the chambers.
A 1.900" intake valve/precision valve job, while doing so only enhances even more.
We used Wood cams since he came to the H-D market in the mid-1990's, in 1200 XL's, Shovelheads, Evo's, T/C's, all the way to 145" S&S engines..............
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:20 AM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master

I guess that's what my hangup is...it seems like it's if this, if that with the 555. I'm also concerned that I'll be expecting more in the earlier rpm range than what it appears the 555 would have. If I go 555 and don't do any more engine work for a year or so, will it seem like a dog compared to the 222? I know it's not all about the dyno sheets, but every one I've seen with the 222 shows the power hitting in the 2000-2500 range and lasting until about 5000. The 555 hits closer to 3000 and hangs on until about 5000. Seems like I would get similar power out of either, but I would feel it sooner with the 222. Granted, I crack the throttle whenever I get a chance, but most of my cruising rpm's are below 3000rpm, probably closer to2500-2800 because it just sounds like it's wound out too much if I keep it above 3. When I really get into it I wind it up to about 5500 before I shift, but again that's not the majority of my riding. So, what happens if I go 222 then do head work or bb later? Does it become a crap cam or something? Sorry if I'm asking the same question a different way, but looking at the dyno sheets it appears the 222 fits where I normally ride a little better. Just wondering why it would be horrible if I do further work.

Thanks for all the responses so far. I'm always open to learning something new.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:54 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I know I will not say the perfect technical things about your decision but here goes: the 222s specs( intake valve closing, duration, etc) OOZE low rpm performance and much more of a bolt in cam. The 555s specs are more to the middle rpm performance and could really shine WAY more than the 222s if you decide to do any more engine upgrades like Big Bore or headwork. You ride a Dyna, so your bike is relatively light, you don't need torque as early like a bagger that is heavier and usually has 2 people aboard(maybe you ride 2 up all the time and that would tilt the argument toward the 222s some). The 555s may come on a little later than the 222s but when you are hotrodding why would you ever be less than about 3000 rpm?

My thoughts are if you are certain that you will never want to do a Big Bore and/or headwork AND you ride 2 up most of the time then the 222s are a good choice but if either of these 2 conditions are not true then go 555s.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:24 AM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by alansummrs
I know I will not say the perfect technical things about your decision but here goes: the 222s specs( intake valve closing, duration, etc) OOZE low rpm performance and much more of a bolt in cam. The 555s specs are more to the middle rpm performance and could really shine WAY more than the 222s if you decide to do any more engine upgrades like Big Bore or headwork. You ride a Dyna, so your bike is relatively light, you don't need torque as early like a bagger that is heavier and usually has 2 people aboard(maybe you ride 2 up all the time and that would tilt the argument toward the 222s some). The 555s may come on a little later than the 222s but when you are hotrodding why would you ever be less than about 3000 rpm?

My thoughts are if you are certain that you will never want to do a Big Bore and/or headwork AND you ride 2 up most of the time then the 222s are a good choice but if either of these 2 conditions are not true then go 555s.
I agree with everything Alan has to say. If you never do anymore motor work then the 222 is great if you want low end tourqe. You do a big bore and the 222's will limit you. You said you like to get after it shift at 5500 rpms, the 222's will have died off by then. In the area you like to cruise in the 222's might be making slightly more power but that's why it's called cruising, the throttle is barley open and you have a very light load on the motor. It don't take a lot of power to maintain speed at 2700 rpms especially on a light Dyna. Not sure how much more my softail weighs than your Dyna but I'm guessing it's enough to make a difference and I can tell you for a fact that the 555's make plenty of power down around the cruising rpms. If your down in the low 2000's and want to hit it hard or pass a vehicle you should be down shifting anyways. All that low end ttourqe will be wasted on a Dyna that doesn't need it and it will limit you up top. It's your bike so do what you want with it, as long as you are happy with it that's all that matters. Call Hillside and Fuelmoto and get their opinions as well, you already heard what Scott had to say a couple posts up, I bet FM will give you about the same advise. It's the same advice I got with a local engine builder as well accept he recommended 10.5-1 compression.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:55 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Now I'll really confuse things by making mention of an Andrews 48 if in fact low-mid power is paramount.
Scott

Old 08-27-2013, 06:49 AM
cruisinmann
Road Warrior
Received 1,807 Likes on 627 Posts

I have the 555's in my 107 that Scott built they are over 100tq at 2300 at 3k 115tq holds bout 120 thru 4500 then slowly trails 113 hp. Happy with it has plenty down low yet running it out a little its still there. Think your decision has to be whether you're going further with the engine if you are I'd wait and do the 555's If not well throw the 222's in and be happy with it

Quick Reply: tw222 vs tw555