Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Engine Noise with Video

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 08:55 PM
BigMESA
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Noise with Video

I posted this in the Softail forum but figured I'd repost it here for hopefully more response and help.

Hey guys, just got back from a long trip up to the Smoky Mountains and all went well but today we decided to go for a short trip around town. When we got back we noticed my brother's fatboy is making a strange noise. He has a 2003 FB with a Twin88 that's been bored out to 95. The noise is heard when the engine has warmed up and idling. It can be in neutral or in gear with the clutch pulled in. It appears to disappear when moving but then again it might just not be noticeable then either. It sounds like a light grinding noise or rubbing noise coming from the engine that comes and goes and only lasts for a second. You can feel the vibration of it in the handle bars when sitting on it. Changed the oil as it smelt like it had some gas in it and no difference was made. Changed it again with new filter and put 20w50 in engine and primary and 85w140 in trans. No difference made. Also no notable metal shavings on any of the plugs. The performance of the bike is the same, no loss in power or sputtering etc..and there is no pinging tinking noises, just the rubbing noise. Any ideas before we have it hauled in to an indy? On a side note I was talking to my brother about how he rode the bike in the mountains and he said he used a lot of engine braking if that makes any difference. Here's the video, we're listening for the scraping/rubbing/grinding noise....

Any ideas? We' re going to open it up and do a visual inspection this weekend. Cams were upgraded to SE cams a while back and cam tensioners were replaced at that time with hydraulic tensioners we were told (Previous owner). Looking around on the net I've heard everything from check the chains to check the compensator nut. It's kinda like having a cold and looking at WebMD....you might have a cold but you start thinking you have cancer! Brother is stressing hard over this but just don't have an opportunity right now to haul it in and money just got really tight too. Any help would be much appreciative!

Last edited by BigMESA; 10-22-2013 at 08:57 PM.