Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Installing Quiet Baffles V&H Short Shots

Old 11-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Megadeath
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing Quiet Baffles V&H Short Shots

I put on a set of V&H Short Shots, and love the look. A little too loud for my taste though...more about the high end resonance for me. So I ordered a set of quiet baffles to mellow it out a bit. Plus, the quiet baffles add torque from many forum posts I have come across. For removal of standard baffles, I read a lot of posts that you had to remove the entire exhaust, but that isn't the case. Heat shields come off relatively easy (shorter one is more of a pain, longer pipe came off quick), and the standard baffles slipped right out after unscrewing the set screw. The new baffles arrive in a couple days and I'll update installation if anyone is curious.

Attached Thumbnails Installing Quiet Baffles V&H Short Shots-baffle1.jpg  
Old 11-02-2013, 12:12 PM
marcortez
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updates please

I am contemplating doing something very similar.

V&H big shots are too loud for me.
They have quiet baffles already installed but an Indy guy told me to just repack those existing baffles.......more than likely some of the packing blew out along the way.

What particularly concerns me is the "baffles slip right out" scenario and I would be interested to hear your story about that.

On edit:....I am not exactly sure of how those hose style clamps that mount the heat shields work.
Is it necessary to completely take those out of the small "[" shaped bracket they mount to.....or simply slide off to one side without completely undoing?

Last edited by marcortez; 11-02-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Megadeath
Intermediate

Originally Posted by marcortez

They have quiet baffles already installed but an Indy guy told me to just repack those existing baffles.......more than likely some of the packing blew out along the way.

What particularly concerns me is the "baffles slip right out" scenario and I would be interested to hear your story about that.
I meant that they slipped out easily AFTER I removed the set screw, which was covered by the heat shield. I've read posts where people have had a hell of a time getting them out. I have heard you can wrap more packing too, just as you described. We'll see, but the process so far is pretty straight forward.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Megadeath
Intermediate

Just a follow up, got the new quiet baffles in and installed no problem. I don't know how anyone can say they can't hear a difference, I hear a major difference. They take out the high end crackle especially in idle. deepen the resonance, very glad I put them on. To me sounds MUCH better. I'll post a follow up when I get her out this week to see if I can sense the torque difference.
HINT: when installing the new baffles, use an 8-penny nail to align the holes. once you get it in, leverage the nail around and it centers right up for the set screw. I put a couple extra bands of Scotch tape around the packing to keep in place, and they slid in no problem. Use one of the old baffles to inch it back that last little bit. I'm no mechanic, but this wasn't that complicated. Heat shields were the biggest pain, but even they weren't that big a deal.

The following users liked this post:
MadDaddy (12-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Megadeath
Intermediate

Originally Posted by marcortez

On edit:....I am not exactly sure of how those hose style clamps that mount the heat shields work.
Is it necessary to completely take those out of the small "[" shaped bracket they mount to.....or simply slide off to one side without completely undoing?
Marcortez - You just have to undo the clamps all the way, and then bend them enough to get the shields off (and then back on). Leave them in the brackets on the shield, no way in hell you'll be able to put them on after the shields are back on the pipes. Sort of a pain at first, but you'll get it right way and get them on. Just be careful not to scratch them up.