Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

clutch cable

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 02:12 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default clutch cable

My FB went for service. I asked for the clutch cable to be lubricated as the inner cable is dragging against the outer causing the lever to feel heavy. Other than spray a bit of lube over the bars and in the general area of the clutch lever they didn't really do anything.

I have a hyperdermic oiler that I've used on the throttle cables which uses a thin mineral oil.

The clutch cable terminates in the clutch cover out of view so I was a bit cautious about oiling it myself as I don't know what's under that cover.

But it needs oiling or the cable is gonna be ****ed.

any advice on this subject appreciated.

thanks

Old 11-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

Modern Harleys clutch cables slide in a Teflon inner liner surrounded by the black or SS outer sheath. They require no lube. Just my opining but if you have a problem, it's probably something else like the lever bushing gone, cable routing or other damage. Now if you have use a generic aftermarket cable with apes or internal cables, that is something else.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:25 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master

Okay, well it feels stiff like my throttle did when I was half way across Spain in February in the snow and lubing up the throttle cables fixed the sticking throttle. Are the throttle cables not Teflon too?

Old 11-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

I would think adding the oil would cause it to get worst but if it worked for your push/pull throttle cables, guess it cain't hurt. However, you probably need to drop the pin at the lever and put it from the top. The lower part of the clutch cable has a seal to insure transmission oil does not come from that end. I may have misspoke about the Teflon. I read the HD big book and it says nylon. Teflon is only in the SS braided ones. Think they come prelubed with a power dry graphite. I know my 04 has 40K and I ride all year round down to 35 or so and they are still fine.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 11-04-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:31 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,019 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I agree with Ripsaw and would be checking for other causes than lack of lubrication. Teflon or nylon, the cable should not require lubrication. If you must lubricate, oil is not the correct lubricant, at lease IMHO. DriSlide will work much better.

http://www.drislide.com/

Personally, if the problem is not related to cable routing or damage, I would replace the cable with a teflon lined cable and forget about it.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:59 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master

Man I hate living here when the weather turns for the worse. Froze my **** off riding back from my sons place yesterday evening, and it's pouring with rain now and has been all day. Wanted to get out on the Harley today, I have people to see and didn't want to have to use the cage.

Stood in the shed and watched the rain coming down, then remembered about the clutch, so took a moment to spray liquid lube all around the clutch lever pivot and cable end, not getting any down the cable itself, and it's much better, so must just be the lever pivot point.

I will get some dry lubricant for the cable in any case.

Thank you for replying to my thread and your comments. Very much appreciated.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:34 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master

Got to the point of not being able to pull away smoothly, so as a last resort prior to changing the cable, I got some graphite spray designed for locks, and it worked a treat.

Just in case anyone has a similar problem.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Happy New Year old chap! The gubbins inside the cover on the trans are all lubricated by gear oil, so it is unlikely you will get any problems from that end. Harley clutch cables are built like suspension bridge cables, so benefit from easy routing, to get the best out of them.

Having owned my 1990 bike from new I treated it to a HD Diamondback clutch cable for its 20th birthday, which I can heartily recommend. Very smooth and significantly lighter operation than the old one.