Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

EVO Cam Hi-Perf

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 05:55 PM
riderboy1961
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default EVO Cam Hi-Perf

Got my Tappets out and 3 out of 4 had loose rollers, while I am in there looked at the cam lobes and discovered at least one lobe is pretty worn/ruff to the touch so I am going to get a new cam as well.
What cam should I replace my current damaged one with?
The current damaged one is a Woods 8. Its in a Evo motor, stock lower end but,
Hi performance valves, valve springs, Heads ported & flowed, 10.5-1 compression, Screamin Eagle ignition adjustable module stock rocker arms.
I am looking online at different cams and thought I would get a lower lift duration cam but I figure this motor wont run right if I go too low. I like the looks of what I read about the:

Woods 6
Andrews EV51 & EV 59
Crane 1-1004
Jims 1361G & 1362G

And about the shimming for a new cam, does all new cams come with any shims that may be needed? First timer for a R & R on EVO Tappets and Cam.
THANKS!!!

Last edited by riderboy1961; 11-29-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:40 AM
riderboy1961
Tourer
Default Huh

No Replies... bummer.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:07 PM
jurgie
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by riderboy1961
No Replies... bummer.
Your lower isnt stock with woods 8 cams in it,why dont you stick with these cams.woods 6 will bring ccp over190 and corrected comp 9.5 thats over the 9.3 target for cams. Hold on to your shorts youll get more suggests to get your mind spinning. crane fireball 326 or dm595 this is a mackie cam to see more on it go to dave mackie engineering and it will bring up his evo cam specs. this one pulls from 2500 6250 rpm he claims and likes comp 10 to 10.5

Last edited by jurgie; 11-30-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:09 PM
bigpete1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check out vthunder cams they make a bunch of cams that would work good in place of that 8 .I run their 5010 cam in my fxr .and there cams are idnexable meaning they can be advanced or retard 4degrees.thanks pete

Old 11-30-2013, 03:36 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Woods cams for me

Old 11-30-2013, 07:34 PM
bigpete1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there is a new woods 8 for evo on htt ,thanks pete.i run the woods cams in a couple of my bikes but for my fxr there is just a lot more choices for me and adjustablilty of indexable gear with crane and vthunder cams is right up my alley because nothing is ever done .thanks pete

Old 12-02-2013, 03:52 PM
riderboy1961
Tourer
Default Thanks

Thanks guys!!

Old 12-02-2013, 04:50 PM
riderboy1961
Tourer

Q: What does a Split Duration Cam do for a Evo motor.
I am trying to learn before I buy. I may just stick with a new W8 cam but, what is the New W8 cam, is it any better for torque? The W6H is supposed to put out a little more torque correct?
If I do change to a different cam but keep the life and duration fairly close will I need to Q: adjust the timing at all or just the Carb jets?
Q: Is the timing adjusted by turning the Cam Position Plate?
Q:The case has Torrington 138 cam bearing in it now, should I still replace it with a new one?
I spoke to Bob Woods on the phone but he was really fast with the answers and I could not keep up wit him
With loose rollers on three of the four tappets I was getting 52mpg on the highway but, less than 40mpg city. The Tappet Rollers were all loose (move up and down by hand) and the cam has some ruff spots on it.
Will I notice a Power difference with these new lifters and a new Woods8?
I appreciate all the help. I am enjoying fixing my own bike!! Great feeling!

Old 12-02-2013, 07:21 PM
jurgie
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Q: What does a Split Duration Cam do for a Evo motor.
I am trying to learn before I buy. I may just stick with a new W8 cam but, what is the New W8 cam, is it any better for torque? The W6H is supposed to put out a little more torque correct?
If I do change to a different cam but keep the life and duration fairly close will I need to Q: adjust the timing at all or just the Carb jets?
Q: Is the timing adjusted by turning the Cam Position Plate?
Q:The case has Torrington 138 cam bearing in it now, should I still replace it with a new one?
I spoke to Bob Woods on the phone but he was really fast with the answers and I could not keep up wit him
With loose rollers on three of the four tappets I was getting 52mpg on the highway but, less than 40mpg city. The Tappet Rollers were all loose (move up and down by hand) and the cam has some ruff spots on it.
Will I notice a Power difference with these new lifters and a new Woods8?
I appreciate all the help. I am enjoying fixing my own bike!! Great feeling!
Woods 6 closes at 40 the woods 8 closes at 47 this will push the torque more towards the bottom with the woods 6 also will bring corrected comp up.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Got my Tappets out and 3 out of 4 had loose rollers, while I am in there looked at the cam lobes and discovered at least one lobe is pretty worn/ruff to the touch so I am going to get a new cam as well.
What cam should I replace my current damaged one with?
The current damaged one is a Woods 8. Its in a Evo motor, stock lower end but,
Hi performance valves, valve springs, Heads ported & flowed, 10.5-1 compression, Screamin Eagle ignition adjustable module stock rocker arms.
I am looking online at different cams and thought I would get a lower lift duration cam but I figure this motor wont run right if I go too low. I like the looks of what I read about the:

Woods 6
Andrews EV51 & EV 59
Crane 1-1004
Jims 1361G & 1362G

And about the shimming for a new cam, does all new cams come with any shims that may be needed? First timer for a R & R on EVO Tappets and Cam.
THANKS!!!
I'd stay with that Wood 8, and install a set of S&S lifters.
Also H-D sent a bulletin to their dealers back in the day, stating that the lifters should be "inspected and/or replaced every 25,000 miles", and that is on a stock lift/ramp cam.
On a hot-rod cam, I'd suggest that be inspected at closer service intervals.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record