Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Couple Questions Re Replacement Headers W/O Cat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Couple Questions Re Replacement Headers W/O Cat?

For say a stock 2013 E Glide if I want to eliminate the cat but keep the stock mufflers, would the factory headers off a pre-cat bike such as a 2009, 96" 49 state bolt right up to both the heads and mufflers? Or would you recommend another manufacturer that offers exact fit headers?
I've read threads how the pipe can be cut open, cat removed, then re-welded but I'd prefer not to do this.

Is anything else affected when removing the cat such as oxygen sensors or ECM that would need addressed?

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2013, 01:44 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewva
For say a stock 2013 E Glide if I want to eliminate the cat but keep the stock mufflers, would the factory headers off a pre-cat bike such as a 2009, 96" 49 state bolt right up to both the heads and mufflers? Or would you recommend another manufacturer that offers exact fit headers?
I've read threads how the pipe can be cut open, cat removed, then re-welded but I'd prefer not to do this.

Is anything else affected when removing the cat such as oxygen sensors or ECM that would need addressed?

Thanks!
There are several good choices for aftermarket headers. I have the Fuel Moto 2-1-2 and highly recommend it. Fullsac Performance has several versions that get good ratings, and Vance and Hines make a Power Dual header that some folks like. I'm not a fan of the material and appearance of the V&H but others feel they perform well. All use the stock sensors.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

Thanks nhrider1, just what I need to know. I was actually looking at Fuel Moto's 2-1-2 but wasn't sure it was identical (as far as size) as stock.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:08 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

Thanks nhrider1, just what I need to know. I was actually looking at Fuel Moto's 2-1-2 but wasn't sure it was identical (as far as size) as stock.
It's identical. Beautifully made and the stock heat shields fit these pipes.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:29 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Fuelmoto and fullsack both use the stock shields and perform very well. The '09 header has different o2 bungs. Ya can get adapters for them or have new bungs welded in but it will not perform as well as Fuelmoto/fullsack/Vancehines. You really should retune for increased flow. Powervision/TTS/SEPT are all excelent tuners but the actual tune/map makes the difference.

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 12-06-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

Thanks Oldhippie. I'm now thinking Fuel Moto headers, opened up airbox, and some kind of enrichment. I went with a TTS on my 09 which worked well. I'm just wondering if I need to go to something like a TTS if I keep the stock mufflers and do nothing more than eliminate the cat and open the airbox?

Old 12-07-2013, 07:36 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

Thanks Oldhippie. I'm now thinking Fuel Moto headers, opened up airbox, and some kind of enrichment. I went with a TTS on my 09 which worked well. I'm just wondering if I need to go to something like a TTS if I keep the stock mufflers and do nothing more than eliminate the cat and open the airbox?
You may get by as long as the stock mufflers are in place...but it will run better with some sort of tuner.

TTS may be overkill if you don't plan to do anything else. Fuel Moto offers several DynoJet and in house options that are simple to use and more cost effective. They provide great support and will load a map for your set-up.

If there's any chance you will go further down the road consider the TTS or Power Vision.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:52 AM
winteml
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similiar questions I just ordered a set of stock catless header pipes for my 2013 Road King off ebay and I'm adding 2inch baffeled Full Boar slip ons. If nothing else is done do I need to add any fuel packs or other devices????

Thanks

Old 12-07-2013, 11:12 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by winteml
I have a similiar questions I just ordered a set of stock catless header pipes for my 2013 Road King off ebay and I'm adding 2inch baffeled Full Boar slip ons. If nothing else is done do I need to add any fuel packs or other devices????

Thanks
You will probably be OK as long as the stock A/C is in place. Make the changes and see how it feels. If you have issues add a tuning device.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:17 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Many believe ya can do slip-ons without a retune (not me) but doing the AC will need a retune. Maybe ya don't "need" a flash tuner like TTS/powervision/SEPT but all the "add-ons" I know of bypass or "mess with" the o2 sensors which is a bad idea.

Quick Reply: Couple Questions Re Replacement Headers W/O Cat?