Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Need ideas on removing exhaust stud

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 07:44 AM
elecwiz1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need ideas on removing exhaust stud

I need some ideas on how to remove a stripped stud on the exhaust outlet. Who ever put the exhaust header on cross threaded the nut onto the stud. I was looking things over and decided to put on a new exhaust (short shots). I decided to change the studs due to their condition, nuts, retention rings.

Three of the studs came out with no problem by running two nuts together and then backing the inside nut out but, the one furthest on the front exhaust port won't budge and that is the one that was cross threaded. I basically have a useless stud sticking out of the motor/ exhaust port. I've tried PB blaster and that spray that freezes. The stud has no usable thread material on it. Tried vice grips and such.

Anybody have any ideas about what to do next??

Old 03-05-2014, 02:21 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by elecwiz1
I need some ideas on how to remove a stripped stud on the exhaust outlet. Who ever put the exhaust header on cross threaded the nut onto the stud. I was looking things over and decided to put on a new exhaust (short shots). I decided to change the studs due to their condition, nuts, retention rings.

Three of the studs came out with no problem by running two nuts together and then backing the inside nut out but, the one furthest on the front exhaust port won't budge and that is the one that was cross threaded. I basically have a useless stud sticking out of the motor/ exhaust port. I've tried PB blaster and that spray that freezes. The stud has no usable thread material on it. Tried vice grips and such.

Anybody have any ideas about what to do next??

Find somebody that can weld and weld a nut to the stud, try again.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:11 PM
elecwiz1
Tourer

Originally Posted by djl
Find somebody that can weld and weld a nut to the stud, try again.

Just tried that. . .broke the stud off in the block. . .Dammit. I'm guessing I have to take it to a shop now so they can tear it down and take it to a machine shop

Old 03-05-2014, 04:25 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd take a picture of it and show it to your most trusted mechanic. Auto or mc for fresh ideas.

If I could get a drill bit in there I'd start the ez out process. Sears has some new type ez outs. Spray a few squirts of penetrating oil in there let sit overnight and have at it.

I don't know if you have enough space to actually get in there straight but if you do try it when your fresh and not aggravated. Last resort pop the head and work it on a bench.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:54 PM
elecwiz1
Tourer

Local MC shop said it would be like 1100 to fix. . Local HD shop said would have to replace it for around 1500. . . F*** Me

Old 03-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Car Doc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a bit available called a Rescue Bit that is a monster for drilling/reaming/cutting bolts check it online they have videos.

The trick is getting a hole drilled thru the exact center of that stud first. Heat would have been the first thing before busting it clear off 20-20 hind sight.

I have my doubts you can do that in the frame so probably need to pull that head and bench it to do it right. hth

Last edited by Car Doc; 03-05-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:21 PM
elecwiz1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Car Doc
There is a bit available called a Rescue Bit that is a monster for drilling/reaming/cutting bolts check it online they have videos.

The trick is getting a hole drilled thru the exact center of that stud first. Heat would have been the first thing before busting it clear off 20-20 hind sight.

I have my doubts you can do that in the frame so probably need to pull that head and bench it to do it right. hth

Had heat on the head. . just corroded

Old 03-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Car Doc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I been there too on cars and trucks, I feel for ya good luck!

Old 03-07-2014, 10:22 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Local MC shop said it would be like 1100 to fix. . Local HD shop said would have to replace it for around 1500. . . F*** Me.
Pull the head, get the correct size Monster bit that Car Doc made reference to, order the exhaust stud drill jig ($66.50) from Georges garage and drill it out. Or, jump on ebay and buy a used set of heads for $150, new head gasket, bolt on and go.

When you pull the head, take care to remove it without disturbing the cylinder to case seal at the base o-ring. Get a couple of 1/2" PVC couplings and use the short head bolts to secure the cylinder to the case while you sort out the problem. That way, you won't have to remove the cylinder to replace the base o-ring.

A PITA but not difficult. I can understand the machine shop charging out the wazoo for a one off job, set up time, etc.; however, the dealer probably has several stock take off heads laying around that they could give you and generate some good will instead of trying to take advantage; worst case, take $50 for the used head. Tell them to ki$$ your a$$.

Last edited by djl; 03-07-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:46 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Local MC shop said it would be like 1100 to fix. . Local HD shop said would have to replace it for around 1500. . . F*** Me

That's crazy. Check some of the better motorcycle or machine shops in your area. A good shop should be able to drill and extract the stud without removing the head. They just need enough clearance to get on the stud squarely.

Quick Reply: Need ideas on removing exhaust stud