Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Need advice - Quiet down D&D Fat Cat or get something else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:18 AM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Need advice - Quiet down D&D Fat Cat or get something else?

I bought my 2009 Street Glide last year and it has the full system D&D Fat Cat 2-1 with wrapped perforated baffle and stage 3 (103ci, port/polished heads, Woods cams, PV5, intake, ect). I also have the ghost pipe and like the look of the dual exhaust vs the single. This thing sounds BAD@SS but I need to quiet it down for a couple different reasons. I called Leonard at D&D and he said the quiet baffle would bring the dbs down just a little but my Woods cams would make the bike sluggish from 2200-2800rpms and that just won't do. For some reason the Woods doesn't like their quiet baffle. So, here I sit with my OCD going crazy trying to figure out what to do. I'd love to find someone to trade a higher flow system that is quieter but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Options or comments are appreciated because I've done lots of thread searching and getting more and more confused with each post.

Last edited by Bagger_Vance; 03-13-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:47 PM
RottnRam
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your interests is for a quieter high flowing exhaust system your probably better off just biting the bullet and buying the exhaust you want and sell the current D&D exhaust to offset the costs. I went from a Thunderheader on a softail to a D&D Boss Cat on my Streetglide both of which bark very easily...

Last edited by RottnRam; 03-13-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:28 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

The problem is that I don't know what I want. I've read Supertrapp, V&H, ect, ect, ect. I think I'm just going to have to wait for a bike night and make some fellas fire up their scoots for me.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:45 AM
RottnRam
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bagger_Vance
wait for a bike night
Agreed.... Everyone's ears are different. It just sounds like you got the spring/ summer riding itch. If it ain't broken then don't try and fix it....

Old 03-14-2014, 08:39 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

It hard to find a bike with your mods to try to listen to another exhaust. I've been needing to switch to a good 2-1 for my 120R for a year now and dreading how loud it was going to be. I finally found a good deal on a D&D Boarzilla with standard baffle to replace my V&H dresser dual/ 4" Rinehart combo I've been running. To my surprise the D&D was a lot more quiet than the true dual combo I was running! When I really get on it it's a little louder but at idle and cruising its noticeably quieter.

I guess what I'm saying is until it's on your bike its hard to tell what it will sound like with your mods.

Either way you should have no issues selling your current set up in the classifieds. I would try the quiet baffle before spending a ton on a new set up, but it look great on your bike to me so It would be worth a shot. I think I would change cams before I would get rid of an exhaust that I love, IMHO?

Old 03-14-2014, 10:01 AM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't think I'm going to mess with a cam swap. What a pain in the butt that is and not something I want to do unless I have to. I'm going to pick up a used quiet baffle and see if that truly does create a flat spot and if it does I'll turn around and sell it. Don't get me wrong, the D&D sounds great and I LOVE it but need to quiet it down some. Thanks for the input, fellas.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:42 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

I found a quiet baffle pretty cheap and going to give it a try. If it doesn't work with my cams it will be up for sale quickly.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:17 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Vance and Hines pro pipe is what you want. Great power and great base. I love the D&D (just hit the loud baffle for my build) and won't change it ever but the V&H won't be any where near as pitched like the fat cat.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:38 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

An after market header with out a cat and stock pair of cans from late model FL. These are some of the best mufflers with balance flow and quiet with a good tone on catless header. You can a pair of these take offs for $50 on eBay

Old 03-16-2014, 07:51 PM
firefighter156
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Bagger_Vance
I bought my 2009 Street Glide last year and it has the full system D&D Fat Cat 2-1 with wrapped perforated baffle and stage 3 (103ci, port/polished heads, Woods cams, PV5, intake, ect). I also have the ghost pipe and like the look of the dual exhaust vs the single. This thing sounds BAD@SS but I need to quiet it down for a couple different reasons. I called Leonard at D&D and he said the quiet baffle would bring the dbs down just a little but my Woods cams would make the bike sluggish from 2200-2800rpms and that just won't do. For some reason the Woods doesn't like their quiet baffle. So, here I sit with my OCD going crazy trying to figure out what to do. I'd love to find someone to trade a higher flow system that is quieter but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Options or comments are appreciated because I've done lots of thread searching and getting more and more confused with each post.
I also have the D&D 2-1 with wrapped baffle like you do. After my motor work I am in the 120/120 club and I love my pipe. Yes it can be loud if your grab a handful but when cruising I thinks its fine.

You may want to consider 2 options. You like the look of two pipes so my first option would be the Vance and Hines Head pipe with the Kuryakyn Crusher Mellow mufflers. That combination has be proven to produce very good power. Equal to that of a 2-1 system. The other option would be to contact Jamie at Fuel Moto. He has many systems that he has helped produce and done the R&D on. He would be an excellent source and will match the pipe/mufflers to your motor. That would remove your guess work.

You really want to buy the exhaust that fits your combination. That is very important. Don't just buy to buy. Don't replace you 2-1 until you find a suitable replacement. Too many people overlook the exhaust as an integral part of the system.

Quick Reply: Need advice - Quiet down D&D Fat Cat or get something else?