Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Carl's Speed Shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 07:35 PM
donbs
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carl's Speed Shop

Beware of Carl's Speed Shop, phone number 386-677-8988, formerly of Daytona and now located in Ormond Beach. Please read my experience below before choosing them. I even offered to pay them for the repair and told Carl Morrow I was sorry for whatever I did to upset him and he refused to stand by his work as his web site states. He is hiding behind a 30 day warranty they printed on my receipt when I paid. They never mentioned a 30 day warranty when I ordered the work and the son stated the engine was bullet proof and may need a valve job after 20,000 to 30,000 miles. I was professional in my dealings and bent over backwards to resolve the issue and even offered to pay to repair their faulty work to no avail. I stand by my post and if have any questions call me.

Don Buechner
407-687-1180

In September 06, I had my engine rebuilt by what I thought a respectful shop in Daytona Beach. Their shop has been featured in Easy Rider and Monster Garage. I spent thousand of dollars for a 120 HP 2004 Road Glide. I broke it in and had it on the dyno for final adjustments. After the dyno, I moved 3000 miles away in the Northwest. I rode my bike maybe 4 times before parking it for the winter in a heated garage. I rode it twice once the weather heated up a little and notice oil leaking out of the exhaust port. I do not know when the leak started. I have less than 300 miles since the bike had its final adjustment. I called up the shop owner and he was helpful at first. He said bring the bike to the shop and they would look at it. I told him I was 3000 miles away. He said to have the head taken off and send to the shop and they would fix it. He said it was an exhaust valve guide leak. I asked him if he would pay for the labor and that is when he started to go sideways. He said at the bottom of the receipt it stated there is only a 30 day warranty. He said I was lucky they were fixing it all since it was six months since the build date. I explained I had only rode it 300 miles if that. Their website stated they stand by what they build. I guess it is only for 30 days.

It took me two weeks to get someone to take off the head and I sent it to Florida a $90 shipping expense. I called the owner and told him it was on the way and again tried to get him to pay for part of the labor and he went off on me. I then asked him to at least send some gaskets to put the bike back together and he told me he would call me back. I have never been treated so poorly by a company.

Today I called his son, the person that put my bike together at the shop. His son stated he would talk to his dad about my bike. The son told me valve guides were tricky and the only way to tell if they were not installed properly was to ride it and determine if there was a leak. 15 minutes later there was a message from the dad on my phone telling me not to send my head and if I did he would send it back.

I called the owner up and he stated I was dishonest and would not do business with me. I told him my bike was in pieces and I needed my head repaired. His head has special made custom made valve guides from his shop. Where else can I get them from? He did not care. He said my heads were out of warranty and to bad. I told I had already spent several hundred dollars removing the head and $90 to mail it as he requested and he told me he was mailing it back when he gets it. I told him his son told me the motor they built was bullet proof and good for 20000 to 30000 miles.

I kept my cool and never raised my voice. He called me dishonest when he is the one going against his word. Who in their right mind would get work done at his shop if he told them upfront after 30 days you are on your on. So much for his statement in his web site.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:00 PM
RedBarron59
Novice
Default RE: Carl's Speed Shop

This is the way to do it. If you are unhappy with the performance of someone’s product or service … you give that vendor a chance to correct it… and they refuse to correct the offence… IMHO you have the right and shall I say the obligation to express your experience fairly… so that others can make their own decisions and possibly not befall your same situation.

Keep one thing in mind. You may not get satisfaction with the service from Carl's but you know your loss. You can take comfort in knowing that Carl's will never know how much this has cost them.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:05 PM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

This is what they get. You handled it professionally and they won't see much biz from this forum where there are plenty of folkswho stand behind their work.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:22 PM
ReeseSS
Tourer

Sad thing is replacing a valve seal is not a real difficult job! With the head already off, just popping off the retainer and spring, slide out valve and remove and replace the seal, put the valve/spring/retainer back. More work to remove the heads then replacing the seals.
How many miles did they say to break it in for? With only 300 on it now, seems it was put on the Dyno too early.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:20 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

is it an EFI motor, post doesnt say...if so, i'd think you'd at least get a base map for break in...sounds like seals to me...when you get your heads back, lots of competent head guru's on this site...send it to them...sorry you had a bad deal, wouldnt've thought it witha rep like Carls...but the way you posted lends great cred to your side of the story

Old 04-10-2007, 11:50 PM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What a Bummer Donbs

I dont understand why the Indy shops and H-D dealers are so parinoid on there Bullet proof builds that they are only willing to give the customer who just forked out a fortune for a build that they have built numerous times and warrent it for a mere 30 friggin days...This just ain't write...
When I inquired about the possibility of a build from my stealer he said "30 days" WHAT THE F**K and I asked...
Dontyou have any confidence inyour mechanics abbility to build a rock solid build for the customer?
If they get up and rave about how this particular build they have built and it has performed for them in the past and is bullet proof, then how about giving the customer a better warrenty...This is just mind boggling to me this piddally 30 day warrenty...Its just insulting to each one of use and even more when it does break down shortly after the warrently has expired and they say SORRY your just SOL...
If thegear heads we have on this forum and others can build a bullet proof build and whomp all over the drag strip and continue to perform flawlessly on the road why can'tH-D dealers do the same?
Alright SORRY to vent but this just pisses me off and thats why I wont allow the stealer to build my motor when its time...
Shoot If memorie serve's I think Steve offers a 1 or 2Years if he puts the bike together himself...
Now thats what I'm talking about...he can build a bullet proof motor and believes he can and he puts his money where his mouth is...Why to go Steve at GMR...
I know a build the way you want to go is expensive but having a 1-2 yr warrenty or longer is worth something extra dont you think?
Shipping out to his shop might cost you $500 on top of what you were going to originally spend or it might balence out and break even with the build and transit costs, so all you'll be out is getting there and back...
When the bike is finished and dynoed you catch a ride or plane out there and ride it back home
couple days down time from the job and or family after the bike is completed...But the satisfaction of believing the bike was built right and no corners were left untouched and the warrentty is certainly something that will allow you to sleep better at night...
Food for Thought...
Oh by the way I'm not affiliated with or have had any ties or dealings with Steve at GMR just several conversations with him...