Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Dyna Super Glide Stock Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:32 AM
sandho
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dyna Super Glide Stock Exhaust

I own a 2005 dyna super glide. The previous owner had installed some aftermarket exhaust/muffler system which was wayyyy too loud. I decided to find and re-install the stock system. After weeks of searching Ebay etc... I acquired all the parts and over two days did the assembly, it wasn't easy and my mechanical skills although excellent have not been engaged in working on cars or motorcycles since i was a kid nearly 50 years ago.

A couple of problems during the assembly:

Trouble with new exhaust port gaskets, seemed a touch too small and even though I got it in, it seemed a little "crunched".

My cheepo torque wrench was confusing and even though I tighten the bolts and nuts the best i could with the best guess using the el cheepo wrench ???

So I finished yesterday and took her out. Sound was Wayyyyy reduced and more befitting a middle aged distinguished gentleman (me) and will no longer disturb my neighbors and alert my wife and dogs to my comings and goings. I am very happy with stock sound.

The engine seemed to be running hotter, I could feel it when stopped, and it was a cool evening, 60's. There was a rattle or two and seemed to be a greater vibration which of course is caused by the larger stock muffler than the aftermarket POS that was there.

Performance seemed fine, in fact at low speeds (30 mph) I was able to operate in a higher gear (3rd) with lower rpm. Plenty of pickup but I will have to get used to the new sound.

Since I had no idea what to expect (including sound level) I am looking for some wisdom as to what I might have done wrong or am I imagining things, I was very careful, studied two different maintenance manuals and did everything by the number.

thanks in advance

Sandho

ps I have no experienced harley riding/owning friends, which of course is sad.