Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

How-To Modify Stock Mufflers on a 2014 Iron 883 (Pics & Vids)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 10:21 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

I would be willing to bet the farm that if you dyno that muffler mod compared to a set of good slip ons, you'll be amazed at the low end power loss due to just having huge open cans.

Think of it like this, all the muffler makers could make them a lot cheaper if they just ran open cans and put a deflector in them. instead, they spend hours and hours designing and testing baffles that find the best balance between getting the most low end and the best peak hp. That's why many manufacturers will have different baffles depending on the engine size / build.

Years back I did many comparisons of opening the mufflers and dynoing until there was just a head pipe. Low end was terrible with the really open stuff, peak HP was about the same though.

I'll bet they're nice and loud though!

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 04-10-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:26 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
I would be willing to bet the farm that if you dyno that muffler mod compared to a set of good slip ons, you'll be amazed at the low end power loss due to just having huge open cans.

Think of it like this, all the muffler makers could make them a lot cheaper if they just ran open cans and put a deflector in them. instead, they spend hours and hours designing and testing baffles that find the best balance between getting the most low end and the best peak hp. That's why many manufacturers will have different baffles depending on the engine size / build.

Years back I did many comparisons of opening the mufflers and dynoing until there was just a head pipe. Low end was terrible with the really open stuff, peak HP was about the same though.

I'll bet they're nice and loud though!
I couldn't agree more, the Lollipop or deflector is more or less a band aid to salvage some bottom end on a poor performing exhaust such as drag pipes.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:38 PM
johnteller
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I'm in the process of putting on a full exhaust system. I went to remove the gaskets, but didn't see any. Then I tried putting in the SE ones and they didn't fit properly without bunching so I left them out. Service dept was closed today. What are your thoughts?

Old 06-05-2016, 03:44 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by johnteller
Hi. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I'm in the process of putting on a full exhaust system. I went to remove the gaskets, but didn't see any. Then I tried putting in the SE ones and they didn't fit properly without bunching so I left them out. Service dept was closed today. What are your thoughts?
John, there's no way the bike came without exhaust gaskets in the head and didn't leak. The original ones squish down and get a rounded shape that the head pipe fits in. If there were no gaskets you have clearly machined recesses going back into the head with very sharp corners.

The original gaskets are a cone shape on the side that receives the pipe made of wire mesh with composite material in them that crushes down. Usually you pry them out with a hook or a screwdriver.

Odds are you simply installed the new exhaust onto the old gaskets and it probably won't leak.

The following users liked this post:
johnteller (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 04:20 PM
johnteller
6th Gear

I didn't buy the SE ones to not use them. Is it ok if it bunches up in spots? The vids I watched looked like they went in flush.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:23 PM
johnteller
6th Gear

got the old gaskets out. didn't realize how packed in they were. SE gaskets fit like a glove. i'll try to get better pics this weekend.

figure machines intake
two brothers comp-s exhaust
power vision from fuelmoto

Attached Thumbnails How-To Modify Stock Mufflers on a 2014 Iron 883 (Pics & Vids)-project.jpg  
Old 06-21-2016, 12:38 PM
Nate Straughn
Stage III

Great thread btw. I love the step by step you posted!! I just bought a 2016 883 a couple of months ago and wanted the pipes to be loud. Just didn't want to spend a lot of money right now on pipes. My question is would you need to get a tuner after you modify the stock pipes? N second I was just thinking about taking the muffler part off where the baffles are? Didn't know if it would damage the Engine?

Old 06-21-2016, 12:41 PM
Nate Straughn
Stage III
Default 2016 883

Great thread btw. I love the step by step you posted!! I just bought a 2016 883 a couple of months ago and wanted the pipes to be loud. Just didn't want to spend a lot of money right now on pipes. My question is would you need to get a tuner after you modify the stock pipes? N second I was just thinking about taking the muffler part off where the baffles are? Didn't know if it would damage the Engine?