Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

How-To Modify Stock Mufflers on a 2014 Iron 883 (Pics & Vids)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 12:40 AM
joshEyeti
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How-To Modify Stock Mufflers on a 2014 Iron 883 (Pics & Vids)

Alright, so this is my first post on this forum. I have been lurking around here for a while and learned a lot from the stuff posted here so I thought I would make a post that might help some members out there.

I read a lot of info about how to modify stock mufflers on 2013 and earlier Sportsters by removing the inner baffle, then the outer baffle, just punching a hole in the baffle, so on and so forth. But it seemed that there wasn't a lot of info regarding the 2014 models. All I could really find out was that there was supposedly a catalytic converter inside the muffler, that was required to be installed to meet emissions standards. I couldn't find any pictures or any info about it. Some were concerned about causing the engine light to turn on, or messing with the O2 sensors, yadda yadda yadda. But there wasn't really anything out there about it. So, I decided to try it for myself and dissect my mufflers and see if there was a way for me to remove the baffles and the cat.

First, I tried to just remove the inner baffle by dremeling it out. It wouldn't budge. Then, I tried to cut a larger circle inside the end of the muffler and remove both baffles together. It started to move but when I looked into the front of the muffler, I could see the big ugly cat, and IT WAS ATTACHED TO THE BAFFLES!

What do I do now? Well, at this point I really had nothing to loose. So I decided to start cutting a little bit off at a time from the end of the muffler. 2 3/4" and about 100 cut off discs later, it came out!

When I went to do my second muffler, I knew exactly what to do, and documented everything with pictures and videos. So here you go. Enjoy!

How-To Modify Stock Mufflers on a 2014 Iron 883

Tools Needed: Dremel tool (or something to make clean cuts with), wrenches, masking tape, measuring tape or ruler, a marker, and something like a long metal pipe to help push the baffles and stuff out after the cut is made.

Please wear gloves, safety glasses, and a dust mask. Fiberglass is nasty stuff.

Step 1)

Remove your mufflers. I didn't take pictures of this part. If you can't figure out how to remove your mufflers, stop here. Don't bother attempting this mod.

Step 2)

Take the masking tape and wrap the end of the muffler where the cut is going to be made.

Step 3)

Measure 2 3/4" from the end of the muffler and mark all the way around the muffler.

Step 4)

Grab your Dremel and throw a cut-off wheel on there. CAREFULLY cut along the line you just made.

Step 5)

Take your metal pipe or whatever you have, stand it up straight, and slide the front of your muffler over it. Then, pull down on your muffler (sorry I didn't take a picture of this). This will force out everything all at once. It will take some effort. Take your time and be careful not to damage the muffler. Also be careful of the fiberglass packing that is coming out. If you weren't already, please wear some gloves, safety glasses, and a dust mask. This is what should come out:

The bulge on the baffles on the left side above is the catalytic converter. You can see it is welded to the baffles. That is why I had to cut the end of the muffler off, so this thing would come out. I don't know how this bike could even breathe with this catalytic converter in there. Here is what the cat looks like up close:

Here is what you should see when you look through the muffler now, nothing:

Step 6)

Put on a sanding/grinding wheel on your Dremel and clean up the edges you just cut. After this, remove the masking tape.
MAKE SURE YOU WIPE OFF YOUR FINGER PRINTS BEFORE YOU RUN YOU BIKE. You will mess up your chrome if you don't.

You can stop here if you like and reinstall them on you bike. I decided to install some of DKCustoms Thunder Toque Inserts. I used the 158W TTIs. This should help add back some lost torque. First I ordered the 118Ws, but they were far too small for the large opening now at the end of the muffler. DKCustoms exchanged them quickly for me, and politely answered any questions I had along the way. Here is the link to the ones I ordered:

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Thun...DK-TTI-158.htm

The directions that come with them are pretty straight forward, but here are some pictures anyways.

Make sure you use some sort of cutting oil like WD40 when drill through the mufflers. It also helps to drill a pilot hole first.

Now they are ready to reinstall on the bike. Be warned. THEY ARE LOUD! I noticed a little torque lost from 1900 to 2200 RPMs or so, but not enough to kill the ride.

Here are some videos that might help show what they sound like, but you can't really tell until you hear them in person.

Before the mod:

After the mod (cold start):

After the mod (warmed up):

Well that's it. I hope this helps those of you who are wanting to try this. Enjoy the ride.

Last edited by joshEyeti; 08-02-2014 at 12:59 AM. Reason: youtube video embedding
Old 08-21-2014, 02:42 PM
Skellig
Novice

Just got my 2014 Iron 883 last Saturday. I'm in San Diego and was concerned about the extra emissions equip., the effect any mods would have on compliance, etc.
Your write-up / how-to is great. Thanks!

Old 08-22-2014, 02:59 PM
pointcrossed
Advanced
Smile

Originally Posted by Skellig
Just got my 2014 Iron 883 last Saturday. I'm in San Diego and was concerned about the extra emissions equip., the effect any mods would have on compliance, etc.
Your write-up / how-to is great. Thanks!
If you don't like loud pipes I would not be concerned.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:24 PM
DRJ1911
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could you have used a hole saw through the other end and kept the baffles? I think my Street Bobs may have the same setup but I would like to keep the baffles. Thanks for a good write up.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:52 PM
Sw1
Road Captain
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

I am gonna have to go for this one. I would love a new exhaust, but somehow $500 plus escapes me right now. Did you go with the "w" or "q" inserts?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:36 AM
joshEyeti
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sw1
I am gonna have to go for this one. I would love a new exhaust, but somehow $500 plus escapes me right now. Did you go with the "w" or "q" inserts?
Thanks everyone. I used the "w" inserts. Make sure you get the 158w inserts. The 118s are too small. I tried them first but had to return them and order bigger ones. DK Customs has great customer service and exchanged them quickly for me.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:42 AM
joshEyeti
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DRJ1911
Could you have used a hole saw through the other end and kept the baffles? I think my Street Bobs may have the same setup but I would like to keep the baffles. Thanks for a good write up.
I could have used a small hole saw to try and just punch a hole in the inner baffle, but I wanted to remove the whole inner baffle. And since the cat was welded to both the inner and outer baffles, I opted to remove everything. If all you want is a slightly throatier sound, maybe just stick a long drill bit into the end and put a hole in the inner baffle. I wanted it loud. "Loud pipes save lives" after all. Lol

Old 09-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Sw1
Road Captain
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Ok, I went and did it. here it is

side view, I cut mine all the way back to remove the taper.

rear view, not much in there.

Yep, it is loud and do to the non stop thunderstorms and rain I have not had much time to run it hard. I have noticed a small bit of decel pop so I will adjust the XIEDS and check for leaks at the junction between the muffler and head pipe. I have read many threads that spoke of a cat in the head pipe, and I sure didn't see any other cat than the one in the muffler. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, but I also ran some scotch brite on the heat shields to make the best of what I have. Overall I am happy, it is loud but from everything I have read the aftermarket stuff is also. I guess for me like the OP, stock is just too damn quiet. I would prefer a black exhaust with a bit less noise, but this was cheap and effective.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:06 PM
joshEyeti
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sw1
Ok, I went and did it. here it is

Yep, it is loud and do to the non stop thunderstorms and rain I have not had much time to run it hard. I have noticed a small bit of decel pop so I will adjust the XIEDS and check for leaks at the junction between the muffler and head pipe. I have read many threads that spoke of a cat in the head pipe, and I sure didn't see any other cat than the one in the muffler. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, but I also ran some scotch brite on the heat shields to make the best of what I have. Overall I am happy, it is loud but from everything I have read the aftermarket stuff is also. I guess for me like the OP, stock is just too damn quiet. I would prefer a black exhaust with a bit less noise, but this was cheap and effective.

Nice job. Looks real good. I am sure you can get rid of that decal pop with some adjustment. I really recommend trying out the DK Customs Thunder Torque Inserts. They are inexpensive and effective. Adjusting the XIEDS and adding those should do the trick.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:10 PM
joshEyeti
Intermediate

I suppose that you could cut any angle or length off the end of the muffler to get the desired look you want, just so long as the cat comes out. In my case, 2 3/4" was just enough. I'd really like to see someone try that out.

Quick Reply: How-To Modify Stock Mufflers on a 2014 Iron 883 (Pics & Vids)