Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Suppertrapp or Thunderheader?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 12:24 PM
the_roadking
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suppertrapp or Thunderheader?

Hi!
I wanna built a XL super bike :tour No more Mr. Niceguy to the rice rocket riders!
The general idea it to pick a XL and then install a S&S 89"XLSS kit, Dyna 2000i ignition, better shocks/suspension, upgrade the brakes, maybe a Ness cafe racer fairing and a 2-1 exhaust system (already have a 1980 XLS1000 gas tank - 4 gallons + tach - for the extra juice and look).

And there's the problem: wich one is best, Supertrapp or Thunderheader? There are plenty dealers who offer me Supertrapp in Europe, but what about Thunderheader?
Until now I can only find them in the USA and theat means extra costs and warranty problems if anything goes wrong :frownone

I'm also thinking of getting the frame and swing arm chromed for that special vintage look :banana
Hope you can give me a hand on this!

Old 04-07-2007, 12:56 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,821 Likes on 1,090 Posts
Default RE: Suppertrapp or Thunderheader?

The real qustion is...do you want LOUD = THUNDERHEADER or do you wantTOLERABLE = SUPERTRAPP

Old 04-07-2007, 01:25 PM
the_roadking
Tourer

Sound ain't a problem as I'll use a full face helmet most of the time.
Pricevs performance are the real concern

Old 04-07-2007, 04:11 PM
tireater
Banned

I'm going to do both...Thunderheader is too loud at 100hp so i'm cutting off the muffler and installing supertrapp mufflers....
I would say start with Supertrapp - good performance without stupid loud noise...

Old 04-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Pixs
Tourer

[align=left]I'm not sure about Sportsters and T-headers. Depends on where you want the power. On TC-88's there is a dip in torque early on, but possibly slightly more top end HP. I suspect that it is the same for a Sportster. I have a Supertrapp 2 into 1 on my Sportster and a few other items as well and I really enjoy the supprised look on rice jockies faces.

Oh yes, don't forget to get an open tip "for racing only" end cap, about $18.00. Make sure that it is running spot on with whatever pipes you are (not drag pipes, I hope) using before putting the Supertrapp on, then change it and tune the pipe. A factory guy told me to remove 6 disks for the open tip, I took out 5 and added a deflector cover and it is right on. Torque will come on 300 to 4000 RPM's lower and stay on the curve longer on the top end. HP should be about as good as you can get from any pipe used on the street and many used at the track.

When I make up my mind as to exactly what I want to do to my Dyna, a Supertrapp 2 into 1 black ceramic will be a part of it. When I got my 06 Dyna I rejected the T-header as to noisy and not good enough on power, the Supertrapp wasn't ready at the time.

Pull the heads and clean them up a bit; see: http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.aspx. Worth the effort. Don't try to change the size of the ports, just match them and smooth the corners; unless you know what you are doing. Cams and compression ratio are up to you.

Good luck and hold on tight.
[/align][align=left] [/align]