Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Stripped out Head

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:23 PM
Glen88
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped out Head

So I got a pretty decent deal on a 2003 Dyna Low Rider. When I bought it alls that it needed was relief cuts on the nut that held the exust on because it was stripped out and they didnt know how to fix it. I cut it off and ninja rigged it and rode to sturgis. had a great time! When I got home I noticed there was a exhaust leak so i went to tighten the nut on the front head and bam stripped out the post. Took the bike to my local Harley dealer and they say it cant be helicoiled or time certed do to heat and pressure. Is this true? They are trying to sell me a whole new head for 500. What should I do??

Old 08-21-2014, 08:08 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

if there is any stud sticking out stillyou can put a nut on it and weld the nut to the stud and back it out. if broke off flush this sometimes can be done also. it can also be drilled out and helicoiled or time serted. go to an indy shop. you may have to remove the head for this work.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Glen88
What should I do??
I had studs on both heads of my shovel strip out, many years ago. You need a competent welder to repair your heads, so new studs can be installed. A race shop should be able to help, which is where I went to repair mine.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:43 AM
Glen88
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. unfortuantly When I first bought the bike that was the issue I did relief cuts on the bolt and then tried to take the stud out and it broke off I jsut weleded a nut on the end and then turned out because there was about a quarter of an inch left. I then took it to a indy shop and let them put Screaming Eagle stage 2 exhaust system on it. The used the wrong nuts and the old studs even though I gave them all the hardware. Hey it worked so I rode it to sturgis. When I got back I figured that I would fix it right so I tryed to take the exhaust off but before I could I noticed the stud was just hanging there and I pulled it out. The head is stripped where the studs go in. So I took it to Harley and they are saying that they cant Time cert or tap the head because of heat and pressure and are quoting me a new head. And to top it off soem ******* stole about 5k worth of my tools why I was in Sturgis.... So now my question is should I follow Harley and have a new head put on or should I take the bike to a Indy and ave them pull head and fix the stripped head?? There quoting me 500 for parts and 3 hours of labor so around 850-900